• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The Bun Cups with Minced Pork and Vegetables intrigue me. They must be steamed since they don't, as a rule, bake their breads. But they have such a uniform golden color. Do they have some sort of flavoring in the dough? Have you any idea how they are formed?

After exhaustive investigations and torturing of suspects, I can now elucidate.

5a76ae1d9217b_cupbun.thumb.jpg.8e85a26b8fc3857e776d361220c28384.jpg

The buns are a feature of Northern Chinese cuisine and are known as 窝窝头 (wō wō tóu) which means nest-like things. They are made from corn, sorghum or millet flour. I think the ones I ate were millet. They also contain brown sugar which may contribute to the colour, although I didn't find them particularly sweet. They are, as I suspected, formed by hand by pressing the thumbs into a ball of dough to make the requisite shape, then steamed.

I bought some this morning and am now thinking what I can fill them with. The possibilities are endless.

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

he Bun Cups with Minced Pork and Vegetables intrigue me. They must be steamed since they don't, as a rule, bake their breads. But they have such a uniform golden color. Do they have some sort of flavoring in the dough? Have you any idea how they are formed?

After exhaustive investigations and torturing of suspects, I can now elucidate.

5a76ae1d9217b_cupbun.thumb.jpg.8e85a26b8fc3857e776d361220c28384.jpg

The buns are a feature of Northern Chinese cuisine and are known as 窝窝头 (wō wō tóu) which means nest-like things. They are made from corn, sorghum or millet flour. I think the ones I ate were millet. They also contain brown sugar which may contribute to the colour, although I didn't find them particularly sweet. They are, as I suspected, formed by hand by pressing the thumbs into a ball of dough to make the requisite shape, then steamed.

I bought some this morning and am now thinking what I can fill them with. The possibilities are endless.