• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

That looks awesome.  What did you stuff them with?

Thanks,

The base is Ritz crackers that have been crumbled in your hand so that the biggest pieces are no bigger than a small kernel of corn.  About 1 1/2 sleeve for 8 shrimp (2 servings)

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

4 green onions chopped

3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

1/2 stick butter

dry sherry

8 shrimp (the ones to be stuffed)

4 or 5 shrimp to be used in the stuffing

I usually buy U-16 - 20 sized shrimp for this. They must  be raw and must not be "easy Peel". I usually  buy  2 lb bags of frozen shrimp when they are on sale.

I take 12 or 13 from the bag and thaw in water. I pick the 8  biggest and best shaped ones to be stuffed. These are cut down to the shell from the leg side trying to stay right down the center and clean out the vein under running water and flatten them out a bit to receive the stuffing. The 4 or 5 other shrimp get  peeled completely, deveined and diced up into pea sized pieces.

Combine the crushed crackers with the grated cheese in a fairly large bowl. Melt the butter in a small fry pan, add the chopped shrimp, chopped onions, garlic and a few dashes of paprika for a cheerful color. Sautee until the chopped shrimp are done and add the contents of the fry pan to the crackers and deglaze the pan (off the heat) with a good amount of dry sherry, which is also added to the cracker mixture. Mix up the cracker mixture and it should have a consistency that lends itself for stuffing (you can clump it together like a snowball). Stuff the shrimp holding them over the bowl  and have a sizzle platter or cookie sheet ready to put them in. I add a bit of water to the sizzle platter to insure the shrimp are steamed and do not stick while the stuffing bakes. I add a thin slice of butter to each shrimp before they go in a 375 F oven  for 30 to 35 minutes and add a dash of dry sherry to each half way through.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks,

The base is Ritz crackers that have been crumbled in your hand so that the biggest pieces are no bigger than a small kernel of corn.  About 1 1/2 sleeve for 8 shrimp (2 servings)

4 green onions chopped

1/2 stick butter

dry sherry

I usually buy U-16 - 20 sized shrimp for this. They must  be raw and must not be "easy Peel". I usually  buy  2 lb bags of frozen shrimp when they are on sale.

I take 12 or 13 from the bag and thaw in water. I pick the 8  biggest and best shaped ones to be stuffed. These are cut down to the shell from the leg side trying to stay right down the center and clean out the vein under running water and flatten them out a bit to receive the stuffing. The 4 or 5 other shrimp get  peeled completely, deveined and diced up into pea sized pieces.

Combine the crushed crackers with the grated cheese in a fairly large bowl. Melt the butter in a small fry pan, add the chopped shrimp, chopped onions, garlic and a few dashes of paprika for a cheerful color. Sautee until the chopped shrimp are done and add the contents of the fry pan to the crackers and deglaze the pan (off the heat) with a good amount of dry sherry, which is also added to the cracker mixture. Mix up the cracker mixture and it should have a consistency that lends itself for stuffing (you can clump it together like a snowball). Stuff the shrimp holding them over the bowl  and have a sizzle platter or cookie sheet ready to put them in. I add a bit of water to the sizzle platter to insure the shrimp are steamed and do not stick while the stuffing bakes. I add a thin slice of butter to each shrimp before they go inn a 375 F oven  for 30 to 35 minutes and add a dash of dry sherry to each half way through.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

11 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks,

4 green onions chopped

1/2 stick butter

dry sherry

Combine the crushed crackers with the grated cheese in a fairly large bowl. Melt the butter in a small fry pan, add the chopped shrimp, chopped onions, garlic and a few dashes of paprika for a cheerful color. Sautee until the chopped shrimp are done and add the contents of the fry pan to the crackers and deglaze the pan (off the heat) with a good amount of dry sherry, which is also added to the cracker mixture. Mix up the cracker mixture and it should have a consistency that lends itself for stuffing (you can clump it together lake a snowball). Stuff the shrimp holding them over the bowl  and have a sizzle platter or cookie sheet ready to put them in. I add a bit of water to the sizzle platter to insure the shrimp are steamed and do not stick while the stuffing bakes. I add a thin slice of butter to each shrimp before they go inn a 375 F oven  for 30 to 35 minutes and add a dash of dry sherry to each half way through.

HC