• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

If you'd like to read more about how dyes with different molecular sizes differentially penetrate meat, Genuine Ideas has a good blog post about it. He's also got some similar posts about nitrate penetration for cured meats, and a couple nice articles on brining. It's all worth a read.

EDIT: As it turns out, Greg Blonder (who runs Genuine Ideas) is the resident science adviser at Amazing Ribs. I suspected his involvement when I saw the dyes come out...

Well, all this talk about marinades and penetration caused me to dust off my copy of McGee.  He writes:

"The acid in marinades does weaken muscle tissue and increase its ability to retain moisture.  But marinades penetrate slowly...  The penetration time can be reduced by cutting meat into thin pieces...  Salt disrupts the structure of the muscle filaments.  A 3% salt solution dissolves parts of the protein structure that supports the contracting filaments, and a 5.5% solution partly dissolves the filaments themselves.  Second, the interactions of salts and proteins result in a greater water-holding capacity in the muscle cells, which then absorb water from the brine (The inward movement of salt and water and disruptions of the muscle filaments into the meat also increase its absorption of aromatic molecules from any herbs and spices in the brine.).  The meat's weight increases by 10% or more.  When cooked, the meat still loses around 20% of its weight in moisture , but this loss is counterbalanced by the brine absorbed, so the moisture loss is effectively cut in half.  In addition, the dissolved protein filaments can't coagulate into normally dense aggregates, so the cooked meat seems more tender.  Because the brine works its way in from the outside...so even a brief incomplete soaking can make a difference."

(Emphasis added)   So, I'm reading Harold to say that wherever (and to whatever depth) salt disrupts the muscle cells, those cells can absorb water which contains the aromatic molecules in a brine or marinade.   I'll ask him directly if he stands by this if you'd like...

Sorry, the overstrike won't turn off!

boilsover

boilsover

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

If you'd like to read more about how dyes with different molecular sizes differentially penetrate meat, Genuine Ideas has a good blog post about it. He's also got some similar posts about nitrate penetration for cured meats, and a couple nice articles on brining. It's all worth a read.

EDIT: As it turns out, Greg Blonder (who runs Genuine Ideas) is the resident science adviser at Amazing Ribs. I suspected his involvement when I saw the dyes come out...

Well, all this talk about marinades and penetration caused me to dust off my copy of McGee.  He writes:

"The acid in marinades does weaken muscle tissue and increase its ability to retain moisture.  But marinades penetrate slowly...  The penetration time can be reduced by cutting meat into thin pieces...  Salt disrupts the structure of the muscle filaments.  A 3% salt solution dissolves parts of the protein structure that supports the contracting filaments, and a 5.5% solution partly dissolves the filaments themselves.  Second, the interactions of salts and proteins result in a greater water-holding capacity in the muscle cells, which then absorb water from the brine (The inward movement of salt and water and disruptions of the muscle filaments into the meat also increase its absorption of aromatic molecules from any herbs and spices in the brine.).  The meat's weight increases by 10% or more.  When cooked, the meat still loses around 20% of its weight in moisture , but this loss is counterbalanced by the brine absorbed, so the moisture loss is effectively cut in half.  In addition, the dissolved protein filaments can't coagulate into normally dense aggregates, so the cooked meat seems more tender.  Because the brine works its way in from the outside...so even a brief incomplete soaking can make a difference."

(Emphasis added)   So, I'm reading Harold to say that wherever (and to whatever depth) salt disrupts the muscle cells, those cells can absorb water which contains the aromatic molecules in a brine or marinade.   I'll ask him directly if he stands by this if you'd like...

boilsover

boilsover

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

boilsover

boilsover

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

boilsover

boilsover

39 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

"The acid in marinades does weaken muscle tissue and increase its ability to retain moisture.  But marinades penetrate slowly...  The penetration time can be reduced by cutting meat into thin pieces...  alt disrupts the structure of the muscle filaments.  A 3% salt solution dissolves parts of the protein structure that supports the contracting filaments, and a 5.5% solution partly dissolves the filaments themselves.  Second, the interactions of salts and proteins result in a greater water-holding capacity in the muscle cells, which then absorb water from the brine (The inward movement of salt and water and disruptions of the muscle filaments into the meat also increase its absorption of aromatic molecules from any herbs and spices in the brine.).  The meat's weight increases by 10% or more.  When cooked, the meat still loses around 20% of its weight in moisture , but this loss is counterbalanced by the brine absorbed, so the moisture loss is effectively cut in half.  In addition, the dissolved protein filaments can't coagulate into normally dense aggregates, so the cooked meat seems more tender.  Because the brine works its way in from the outside...so even a brief incomplete soaking can make a difference."