• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

It's almost impossible to sear properly in a home kitchen for lack of both BTUs and ventilation. If your pan is really hot enough to do the job you're asking it to do, you'll smoke out your kitchen in an instant. I do it outside or not at all.

Searing over charcoal is excellent, but at that point I'd rather just grill the steaks over charcoal from start to finish.

I hate torches for searing, even with the Searzall. I use the Searzall all the time, but not to finish steak.

My favorite indoor searing strategy is deep frying. By searing all the sides at once, you get an extremely even sear with minimal risk of producing a temp gradation.

I almost never cook steak SV anymore.

btbyrd

btbyrd

It's almost impossible to sear properly in a home kitchen for lack of ventilation. If your pan is really hot enough to do the job you're asking it to do, you'll smoke out your kitchen in an instant. I do it outside or not at all.

Searing over charcoal is an excellent finish, but at that point I'd rather just grill the steaks over charcoal from start to finish.

I hate torches, even with the Searzall. I use the Searzall all the time, but not to finish steak.

My favorite indoor searing strategy is deep frying. By searing all the sides at once, you get an extremely even sear with minimal risk of producing a temp gradation.

I almost never cook steak SV anymore.