• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerala

Kerala

Dream restaurant change of mind

1) What is your favourite restaurant (apart from your own)

This probably marks me out as a bit of a pleb, but I was so impressed when I visted Hakkasan Hanway Place in London. It's all a bit obvious. Lovely food with great presentation, flavour and texture. Attentive sleek attractive staff.  Subdued but sufficient lighting. Comfortable. Expensive. Loved it.

2) What is your most important ingredient in the kitchen, and why?

Fresh cracked pepper goes into everything almost as much as salt and oils. It's a taste that belongs in Western cooking but comes from south India. It makes me feel at home. As a taste, I love it on roasts, in stews, on marmalde- everything.

3) What tool is most important in your kitchen, and why?

My fan assisted oven. I've had it for 15 years, and I know exactly what will happen in it if I turn it up to 200 and cook for however many minutes.

4) Which restaurant, anywhere, is your dream destination to dine?

Rick Stein's place in Padstow on one hand.

A safe warm shack serving momo at the end of a long trek up a mountainside in Nepal, on the other.

5) What trend do you see becoming popular in restaurants in the next year?

Deconstruction.

6) What trend would you most like to see go away?

Deconstruction.

Kerala

Kerala

1) What is your favourite restaurant (apart from your own)

This probably marks me out as a bit of a pleb, but I was so impressed when I visted Hakkasan Hanway Place in London. It's all a bit obvious. Lovely food with great presentation, flavour and texture. Attentive sleek attractive staff.  Subdued but sufficient lighting. Comfortable. Expensive. Loved it.

2) What is your most important ingredient in the kitchen, and why?

Fresh cracked pepper goes into everything almost as much as salt and oils. It's a taste that belongs in Western cooking but comes from south India. It makes me feel at home. As a taste, I love it on roasts, in stews, on marmalde- everything.

3) What tool is most important in your kitchen, and why?

My fan assisted oven. I've had it for 15 years, and I know exactly what will happen in it if I turn it up to 200 and cook for however many minutes.

4) Which restaurant, anywhere, is your dream destination to dine?

The French Laundry on one hand.

A safe warm shack serving momo at the end of a long trek up a mountainside in Nepal, on the other.

5) What trend do you see becoming popular in restaurants in the next year?

Deconstruction.

6) What trend would you most like to see go away?

Deconstruction.