• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

However the two biggest differences were that the hydration was slightly less and the salt was added along with the yeast and poolish before autolysis.

You can move hydration around quite a lot and still get bread. I’ve been experimenting with a lot of different purées in my sourdoughs, many of which are resulting in small changes to the hydration, and while the finished texture of the breads is affected, it is never “putty-like.”  I’d be very surprised if a small change in hydration had that effect. But of course it’s also easy to test.

Adding the salt before the autolysis stage should decrease the effectiveness of the autolyse, but that will only change how long it takes the gluten to form, not whether it does or not. Do both doughs reach full windowpane?

How are you checking for proof?

Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

However the two biggest differences were that the hydration was slightly less and the salt was added along with the yeast and poolish before autolysis.

You can move hydration around quite a lot and still get bread. I’ve been experimenting with a lot of different purées in my sourdoughs, many of which are resulting in small changes to the hydration, and while the finished texture of the breads is affects, it is never “putty-like.”  I’d be very surprised if a small change in hydration had that effect. But of course it’s also easy to test.

Adding the salt before the autolysis stage should decrease the effectiveness of the autolyse, but that will only change how long it takes the gluten to form, not whether it does or not. Do both doughs reach full windowpane?

How are you checking for proof?