• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:52 AM, liuzhou said:

I think I'm an enthusiastic and, I think, reasonably competent cook. I ain't about to win any Michelin stars or the like, but my friends enjoy my food (or maybe they are just super polite).

But there is one thing I  just never get right. I've read more recipes and instructions than you probably know even exist. I've had lessons from great cooks across the world. All to no avail.

I wouldn't mind, but it is something I like to eat.

Fishcakes

Mine taste OK, but look like something the dog happily left behind. They fall apart. They just don't work on any level.

Now, I'm not looking for your suggestions on how to escape this sad situation . I'm incurable. I've had every suggestion ever known and some which remain esoteric secrets. One lovely lady in Thailand showed me three times how she made hers, then asked me to try. I precisely followed her instructions and left her behind with a plate of crud and a nervous breakdown.

So, I only ever eat them in restaurants where they have managed to employ people less fishcake challenged than me.

What I want to know is, among all you talented people, what is it that you can't cook?

Anyone saying "nothing" will be ex-communicated, scorned, reviled and ostracised just for starters!

You could try this recipe from Ina Garten (published in the Detroit Free Press).  She really knows her fish!

Fish and Shrimp Cakes

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided

1 1/2 cups 1/4- to 1/2-inch diced yellow onion

1 red bell pepper, 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice

1 cup diced celery

1 1/4 pounds skinless cod fillets, cut into 4 pieces

1/2 cup heavy cream

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

4 cups panko bread crumbs, divided

3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill

2 tablespoons good-quality mayonnaise

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, or more if you like

2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 pound cooked lobster or shrimp, 1/2-inch dice

Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Place the cod fillet on top of the vegetables and pour in the heavy cream. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 6-12 minutes (depending on the thickness of the cod), until the fish is just cooked. Set a side in the pan for 10 minutes, then flake the fish in large pieces with a fork.

Place 2 cups of the panko breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Add the cod mixture with all the cooking liquid, dill, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon zest, eggs, shrimp, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Mix gently.

Using a large ice cream scoop as measure, shape the mixture into 3-inch cakes. Place the remaining 2 cups of panko on a plate and coat the cakes all over, patting the panko to adhere. Wipe clean the skillet you used to cook the fish. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet until butter is melted. Working in batches, cook the cakes until nicely browned on each side, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the cakes to a sheet pan and keep them warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining cakes, adding butter and oil as needed. Serve hot with remoulade sauce.

lindag

lindag

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:52 AM, liuzhou said:

I think I'm an enthusiastic and, I think, reasonably competent cook. I ain't about to win any Michelin stars or the like, but my friends enjoy my food (or maybe they are just super polite).

But there is one thing I  just never get right. I've read more recipes and instructions than you probably know even exist. I've had lessons from great cooks across the world. All to no avail.

I wouldn't mind, but it is something I like to eat.

Fishcakes

Mine taste OK, but look like something the dog happily left behind. They fall apart. They just don't work on any level.

Now, I'm not looking for your suggestions on how to escape this sad situation . I'm incurable. I've had every suggestion ever known and some which remain esoteric secrets. One lovely lady in Thailand showed me three times how she made hers, then asked me to try. I precisely followed her instructions and left her behind with a plate of crud and a nervous breakdown.

So, I only ever eat them in restaurants where they have managed to employ people less fishcake challenged than me.

What I want to know is, among all you talented people, what is it that you can't cook?

Anyone saying "nothing" will be ex-communicated, scorned, reviled and ostracised just for starters!

You could try this recipe from Ina Garten (published in the Detroit Free Press).  She really knows her fish!

Fish and Shrimp Cakes

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided

1 1/2 cups 1/4- to 1/2-inch diced yellow onion

1 red bell pepper, 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice

1 cup diced celery

1 1/4 pounds skinless cod fillets, cut into 4 pieces

1/2 cup heavy cream

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

4 cups panko bread crumbs, divided

3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill

2 tablespoons good-quality mayonnaise

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, or more if you like

2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 pound cooked lobster or shrimp, 1/2-inch dice

Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Place the cod fillet on top of the vegetables and pour in the heavy cream. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 6-12 minutes (depending on the thickness of the cod), until the fish is just cooked. Set a side in the pan for 10 minutes, then flake the fish in large pieces with a fork.

Place 2 cups of the panko breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Add the cod mixture with all the cooking liquid, dill, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon zest, eggs, shrimp, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Mix gently.

Using a large ice cream scoop as measure, shape the mixture into 3-inch cakes. Place the remaining 2 cups of panko on a plate and coat the cakes all over, patting the panko to adhere. Wipe clean the skillet you used to cook the fish. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet until butter is melted. Working in batches, cook the cakes until nicely browned on each side, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the cakes to a sheet pan and keep them warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining cakes, adding butter and oil as needed. Serve hot with remoulade sauce.