• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

Recently watched Ina Garten prepare this soup.  So I went to my nearby grocer looking for the oxtails (thinking forward to when it's cooled down enough to think about hot soup).

I was surprised to be told that they do not stock oxtails but that they could order them for me...it would take two weeks and they would be very expensive.  I know that I used to be able to buy them when I lived in Portland.

So, even if I can't use oxtails I thought I'd like to make a variation of this recipe, substituting another cut for the oxtails and replacing the barley (which I don't care for).  

Yeah, I know, it won't be the same recipe, but I thought it still might be worth a try.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lindag

lindag

Recently watched Ina Garten prepare this soup.  So I went to my nearby grocer looking for the oxtails (thinking forward to when it's cooled down enough to think about hot soup).

I was surprised to be told that they do not stock oxtails but that they could order them for me...it would take two weeks and they would be very expensive.  I know that I used to be able to buy them when I lived in Portland.

So, even if I can't use oxtails I though I'd like to make a variation of this recipe, substituting another cut for the oxtails and replacing the barley (which I don't care for).  

Yeah, I know, it won't be the same recipe, but I thought it still might be worth a try.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.