• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am not a fan of peanuts but for many years I did enjoy a product that was sold as beer nuts. These were peanuts with a candy coating as I recall so sweet rather than salty. I can't seem to find them anymore. Although they do appear to be available somewhere. 
Here  

We do get something similar here but they are not called 'beer nuts', instead being given the non-alcoholic and more attractive name 鱼皮花生 (yú pí huā shēng), 'fish-skin peanuts'. These contain no dermal material from limbless cold-blooded vertebrate animal with gills and fins living wholly in water, but are roasted peanut kernels with a coating made from glutinous rice and wheat flours, sugar, salt and various additives (tartrazine E102, Allura red AC (E129)and vanillin).

FishSkinPeanuts.thumb.jpg.b4ff2c0cf19f3494c08fd31843a20aa1.jpg

We also get 'milk peanuts' sensitively labelled as 'old lady peanut bag milk flavored nuts roasted beer partner' in a direct translation of the Chinese! These are not sweet but contain peanut kernels, salt, star anise, and cinnamon.

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am not a fan of peanuts but for many years I did enjoy a product that was sold as beer nuts. These were peanuts with a candy coating as I recall so sweet rather than salty. I can't seem to find them anymore. Although they do appear to be available somewhere. 
Here  

We do get something similar here but they are not called 'beer nuts', instead being given the non-alcoholic and more attractive name 鱼皮花生 (yú pí huā shēng), 'fish-skin peanuts'. These contain no dermal material from limbless cold-blooded vertebrate animal with gills and fins living wholly in water, but are roasted peanut kernels with a coating made from glutinous rice and wheat flours, sugar, salt and various additives (tartrazine E102, Allura red AC (E129)and vanillin).

We also get these 'milk peanuts' sensitively labelled as 'old lady peanut bag milk flavored nuts roasted beer partner' in a direct translation of the Chinese! These are not sweet but contain peanut kernels salt, star anise, and cinnamon.

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here  

We do get something similar here but they are not called 'beer nuts', instead being given the non-alcoholic and more attractive name 'fish-skin peanuts'. These contain no dermal material from limbless cold-blooded vertebrate animal with gills and fins living wholly in water, but are roasted peanut kernels with a coating made from glutinous rice and wheat flours, sugar, salt and various additives (tartrazine E102, Allura red AC (E129)and vanillin).