• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have never actually eaten chicken hearts, but I suspect I would enjoy them. They are certainly not readily available, but I’m sure they would be in one of the Asian stores. I see there are those who claim they do not require any preparation prior to cooking, and those who are horrified by this idea. I take it that you are of the latter persuasion.

Next time, I'll take a picture of how the hearts arrive. Cased in  fat and blood and membranes and often, laced with ventricles and veins. They definitely, in my book, need removing. Apart from the aesthetics and health implications, they can make the hearts bitter.

I'm guessing that those who think no prep is necessary are buying hearts that have been at least partially prepped by the vendors. Mine come simply torn from the chest.

These below from a while ago are a lot more prepped than mine were this time, but I still trimmed a lot of that fat off.

881809791_chickenhearts.thumb.jpg.a666bd5289fe87a07905282116bfc0b9.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have never actually eaten chicken hearts, but I suspect I would enjoy them. They are certainly not readily available, but I’m sure they would be in one of the Asian stores. I see there are those who claim they do not require any preparation prior to cooking, and those who are horrified by this idea. I take it that you are of the latter persuasion.

Next time, I'll take a picture of how the hearts arrive. Cased in  fat and blood and membranes. They definitely, in my book, need removing. Apart from the aesthetics and health implications, they can make the hearts bitter.

I'm guessing that those who think no prep is necessary are buying hearts that have been at least partially prepped by the vendors. Mine come simply torn from the chest.

These below from a while ago are a lot more prepped than mine were this time, but I still trimmed a lot of that fat off.

881809791_chickenhearts.thumb.jpg.a666bd5289fe87a07905282116bfc0b9.jpg