• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TicTac

TicTac

Picked up a 6 week Deckle End Rib Eye and a Chuck Eye (no specified age) steak which one of the butchers kindly cut to order for me.

Shockingly enough the price was 1/3 of the Rib Eye.  The Aged Rib Eye had gorgeous marbling, the Chuck Eye minimal to none. 

Equally amazing was how the Chuck Eye nearly rivaled the Rib Eye surely in tenderness (cooked the same way as the RE - turned every 2 minutes over coals) though not AS flavourful (has to be the age variable).

Thank you for turning me on to this cut.

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Went to the Bayview location on my way home Sunday.  Bought, among other things,  Berkshire pork chops and dry aged rib steaks.  What a great place!  Glad I don't live near there or I'd be broke.  Well fed, but broke.  I couldn't buy everything i wanted as I had limited room in my cooler as I had already made yogurt (sheep's milk) and cheese stops.  One of the cheeses I bought was a 13 year old cheddar i bought at  the St. Jacob's Farmer's Market.  I don't recall ever having seen a cheddar aged that long.  Did not see the butter - next time.

So glad you made it and enjoyed.  Hopefully you enjoy your haul (would love to hear!).  I too can't get out of there for under $100....

TicTac

TicTac

Picked up a 6 week Deckle End Rib Eye and a Chuck Eye (no specified age) steak which one of the butchers kindly cut to order for me.

Shockingly enough the price was 1/3 of the Rib Eye.  The Aged Rib Eye had gorgeous marbling, the Chuck Eye minimal to none. 

Equally amazing was how the Chuck Eye nearly rivaled the Rib Eye surely in tenderness tender (cooked the same way as the RE - turned every 2 minutes over coals) though not as flavourful (has to be the age variable).

Thank you for turning me on to this cut.

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Went to the Bayview location on my way home Sunday.  Bought, among other things,  Berkshire pork chops and dry aged rib steaks.  What a great place!  Glad I don't live near there or I'd be broke.  Well fed, but broke.  I couldn't buy everything i wanted as I had limited room in my cooler as I had already made yogurt (sheep's milk) and cheese stops.  One of the cheeses I bought was a 13 year old cheddar i bought at  the St. Jacob's Farmer's Market.  I don't recall ever having seen a cheddar aged that long.  Did not see the butter - next time.

So glad you made it and enjoyed.  Hopefully you enjoy your haul (would love to hear!).  I too can't get out of there for under $100....