• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

It's really difficult for me to directly compare.  Primarily because I think of a ribeye as two completely different cuts that come joined together.  The deckle/cap/callotte has a completely different nature than the other part that I call 'the eye'.  To me, the eye is like an inferior filet, or  more like sirloin, or Manhattan steak (basically a New York strip cut in half and trimmed of fat).  They need totally different cooking in a traditional sense and in a perfect world, I would always buy a ribeye roast, cut the eye out, and roll up the cap to cut steaks out of.

The chuckeye shares more character with the deckle/callotte/cap than with the eye.  My traditional way of cooking both is to pan sear each side at a really high heat and then turn the heat down to almost off for and extended period - maybe 15-20 minutes (during which time I'm adding butter, garlic and mushrooms).  With a ribeye, this results in OMG deckle and overcooked eye.  With a chuckeye, the flavor of the deckle is there, but it hasn't broken down as much so there's some stringiness.  But, for the price, quite acceptable.

IndyRob

IndyRob

It's really difficult for me to directly compare.  Primarily because I think of a ribeye as two completely different cuts that come joined together.  The deckle/cap/callotte has a completely different nature than the other part that I call 'the eye'.  To me, the eye is like an inferior filet, or  more like sirloin, or Manhattan steak (basically a New York strip cut in half and trimmed of fat).  They need totally different cooking in a traditional sense and in a perfect world, I would always buy a ribeye roast, cut the eye out, and roll up the cap to cut steaks out of.

The chuckeye shares more character with the deckle/callotte/cap than with the eye.  My traditional way of cooking both is to pan sear each side at a really high heat and then turn the heat down to almost off for and extended period - maybe 15-20 minutes (during which time I'm adding butter, garlic and mushrooms).  With a ribeye, this results OMG deckle and overcooked eye.  With a chuckeye, the flavor of the deckle is there, but it hasn't broken down as much so there's some stringiness.  But, for the price, quite acceptable.