• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

I don't know if some of the TJ's products are limited to certain areas, but here are the few things we routinely buy and find to be good quality and a reasonable price. It would be very unusual for us to come out of TJ's with more than 2 or 3 things.

VALRHONA 71 % Le Noir chocolate bar. You cannot beat the price for this quality plain dark chocolate, although I do know how personal chocolate tastes can be. This one is great for nibbling and for using in some baked goods. I'm super picky about my chocolate, so that might help or not.

EMPIRE KOSHER ORGANIC CHICKEN. Has to be both kosher and organic to be best.

TJ's HOME MADE (OR HAND MADE?) FLOUR TORTILLAS. Excellent for a commercial product when you just don't have the energy to make your own. Best when fresh; they don't keep well beyond two or three days. 

TJ's MINI CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT BISCOTTI. The plastic box says "soft bite" but they are not soft at all. If you are a person who likes the flavor of the oreo chocolate discs or Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers these biscotti evoke something similar, at least for me. They are definitely not over-sweet. They are always in stock, they are cheap,  and great if you suddenly have guests coming over for ice cream or whatever and don't have time to go cross town to your favorite bakery.

There are a couple of products that I was addicted to that have gone the way of the dodo. Then there are the seasonal products like the recent depressing episode of the Butter Toffee Pretzels. It was totally embarrassing how much I loved them. I don't even like pretzels. I tried sleeping until next December, but I woke up this morning. 

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

I don't know if some of the TJ's products are limited to certain areas, but here are the few things we routinely buy and find to be good quality and a reasonable price. It would be very unusual for us to come out of TJ's with more than 2 or 3 things.

VALRHONA 71 % Le Noir chocolate bar. You cannot beat the price for this quality plain dark chocolate, although I do know how personal chocolate tastes can be. This one is great for nibbling and for using a baked goods. I'm super picky about my chocolate, so that might help or not.

EMPIRE KOSHER ORGANIC CHICKEN. Has to be both kosher and organic to be best.

TJ's HOME MADE (OR HAND MADE?) FLOUR TORTILLAS. Excellent for a commercial product when you just don't have the energy to make your own. Best when fresh; they don't keep well beyond two or three days. 

TJ's MINI CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT BISCOTTI. The plastic box says "soft bite" but they are not soft at all. If you are a person who likes the flavor of the oreo chocolate discs or Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers these biscotti evoke something similar, at least for me. They are definitely not over-sweet. They are always in stock, they are cheap,  and great if you suddenly have guests coming over for ice cream or whatever and don't have time to go cross town to your favorite bakery.

There are a couple of products that I was addicted to that have gone the way of the dodo. Then there are the seasonal products like the recent depressing episode of the Butter Toffee Pretzels. It was totally embarrassing how much I loved them. I don't even like pretzels. I tried sleeping until next December, but I woke up this morning.