• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I'm in the same general geographic area as you are, @heidih, so I get the flyer, too.  What surprised me about their mailing program was when they opened a Trader Joe's in Burlington, VT and my mother (who lived on the other side of the lake in northern NY) started receiving the flyer in the mail.  It's at least a 3 hour round trip, involving a ferry, so it surprised me they were advertising that far away.  Not sure if they're still following that strategy or not.

I always read the flyer - usually there's a mixture of new and old items - and generally find a few things I'd like to try. In addition to the Bamba and jackfruit you mentioned, I'll probably pick up some of the frozen coconut chunks. 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:27 AM, ElsieD said:

I'm hoping someone will try the Creamy Tomato Soup Crackers and report back.9_9

I tried them and wouldn't recommend them.  I'm not a fan of rice crackers to begin with but the flavor doesn't help either. Tastes like what you'd get from dehydrating the already "condensed" canned tomato soup.  Now, I have fond memories of that soup, made with milk and served with a grilled cheese sandwich but the crackers aren't doing it for me.  I'm debating whether to take them back or toss them. 

IMG_7071.jpg

Edited to add:

On 1/2/2018 at 10:38 AM, Toliver said:

I thought these might be nice as a garnish on soup so I tried them.  Yes, they do add a nice crunch when sprinkled on top of a bowl but they soak up the soup and get soggy very quickly - at least if you break them up like I did.  As a snack, they're OK, but nothing I'd crave like a potato chip.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I'm in the same general geographic area as you are, @heidih, so I get the flyer, too.  What surprised me about their mailing program was when they opened a Trader Joe's in Burlington, VT and my mother (who lived on the other side of the lake in northern NY) started receiving the flyer in the mail.  It's at least a 3 hour round trip, involving a ferry, so it surprised me they were advertising that far away.  Not sure if they're still following that strategy or not.

I always read the flyer - usually there's a mixture of new and old items - and generally find a few things I'd like to try. In addition to the Bamba and jackfruit you mentioned, I'll probably pick up some of the frozen coconut chunks. 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:27 AM, ElsieD said:

I'm hoping someone will try the Creamy Tomato Soup Crackers and report back.9_9

I tried them and wouldn't recommend them.  I'm not a fan of rice crackers to begin with but the flavor doesn't help either. Tastes like what you'd get from dehydrating the already "condensed" canned tomato soup.  Now, I have fond memories of that soup, made with milk and served with a grilled cheese sandwich but the crackers aren't doing it for me.  I'm debating whether to take them back or toss them. 

IMG_7071.jpg