• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Spelling and punctuation.

IMG_4386_Cropped.thumb.jpg.e49d9f2a4f212117817c2c8de68c0a40.jpg

My pie was a disaster in almost every way. Gretchen McKay's Blueberry Cream Pie recipe appeared in my local paper, though this is a different link.

I didn't want to make a single pie––too hard to cut cleanly. Brief internet research revealed that individual pies take more crust ingredients than a single pie; it was suggested that doubling the recipe would be adequate, extra pie shells could be frozen for another day. 

Having no graham crackers, I thought to substitute ginger snaps. Nabisco Ginger Snaps were a favoured youthful dessert so I bought a box, but the modern version is a hard tasteless (ginger-less) hard cookie.

It seems that different manufacturers have different graham cracker sheet sizes, so there was no way (for me) to calculate its weight. Also unclear on whether the recipe called for a single graham cracker or a sheet of crackers, I counted out 24 Nabisco ginger snaps, thinking that I was doubling the recipe. And so added 12 tablespoons of melted butter (excessive). And whizzed in the Cuisinart for too long into a fine powder. Perhaps you can see how rock solid this "crust" is.

IMG_4384_Cropped.thumb.jpg.f1afab6256fa53d39c6d9d8c1ca2dbf7.jpg

The blueberry filling went fairly well, though I added an extra tablespoon of ground blueberry powder, and used lime oil in place of lemon juice. (I'm probably not a very reliable cook 🙄).

For the topping, the cream cheese was too cold. With the addition of heavy cream, it wasn't long before I turned it into butter.

While I managed to get the "crust" loose from the pie pan after baking, this was not possible once the crusts were filled. Using a sharp vegetable knife, I eventually got them loose but probably wrecked the pan.

IMG_4388_Cropped.thumb.jpg.5a3537e7d0f4981587c595cdd1e97b64.jpg

Now, here's the funny part. Everybody ate almost all of the pie! Moreover, no one lost a tooth.

My friend took to calling it Blueberry Cream Toffee Torte. 🤣

TdeV

TdeV

Spelling and punctuation.

My pie was a disaster in almost every way. Gretchen McKay's Blueberry Cream Pie recipe appeared in my local paper, though this is a different link.

I didn't want to make a single pie––too hard to cut cleanly. Brief internet research revealed that individual pies take more crust ingredients than a single pie; it was suggested that doubling the recipe would be adequate, extra pie shells could be frozen for another day. 

Having no graham crackers, I thought to substitute ginger snaps. Nabisco Ginger Snaps were a favoured youthful dessert so I bought a box, but the modern version is a hard tasteless (ginger-less) hard cookie.

It seems that different manufacturers have different graham cracker sheet sizes, so there was no way (for me) to calculate its weight. Also unclear on whether the recipe called for a single graham cracker or a sheet of crackers, I counted out 24 Nabisco ginger snaps, thinking that I was doubling the recipe. And so added 12 tablespoons of melted butter (excessive). And whizzed in the Cuisinart for too long into a fine powder. Perhaps you can see how rock solid this "crust" is.

The blueberry filling went fairly well, though I added an extra tablespoon of ground blueberry powder, and used lime oil in place of lemon juice. (I'm probably not a very reliable cook 🙄).

For the topping, the cream cheese was too cold. With the addition of heavy cream, it wasn't long before I turned it into butter.

While I managed to get the "crust" loose from the pie pan after baking, this was not possible once the crusts were filled. Using a sharp vegetable knife, I eventually got them loose but probably wrecked the pan.

Now, here's the funny part. Everybody ate almost all of the pie! No one lost a tooth.

TdeV

TdeV

I didn't want to make a single pie––too hard to cut cleanly. Brief internet research revealed that individual pies take more ingredients than a single pie; it was suggested that doubling the recipe would be adequate, extra pie shells could be frozen for another day. 

Now, here's the funny part. Everybody ate almost all of the pie! No one lost a tooth.