• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

@TdeV

I don’t have a recipe per se for the tart but I am happy to tell what I did. If you are interested in a similar crust, Rose Levy Beranbaum has a video using a Cream Cheese Butter crust. ( it’s painfully long but if you haven’t made one previously, you might be interested in taking a look.) The crust is very flaky, not a cookie style crust.

For the fruit, I had 4 small pears, total weight after trimming and slicing was 310g.

The sugar was 20% of the fruit, and the thickener was 5% tapioca flour. I zested in the peel of a Meyer lemon and a little vanilla.

I added a handful or so of blackberries not included in the weight.

This filled up the 8” tart mold, cut out scraps of pastry was placed on top along with some crumbled amaretti cookies.

This was baked 400* convection bake for ten minutes  on a  stone.  Reduce temperature to 375* and bake 10 more minutes rotating the tart as needed in your oven.  The last 7/10 minutes was at 350* , watching carefully to prevent bubbling over.

Let  rest at room temperature to set up prior to slicing. Here’s a pic of the filling as of today.  If your fruit is very juicy you can up the percentage of tapioca thickener to 5.5 %.

C7974D7F-50AE-4E2F-9CAE-06A360584220.jpeg

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

@TdeV

I don’t have a recipe per de for the tart but I am happy to tell what I did. If you are interested in a similar crust, Rose Levy Beranbaum has a video using a Cream Cheese Butter crust. ( it’s painfully long but if you haven’t made one previously, you might be interested in taking a look.) The crust is very flaky, not a cookie style crust.

For the fruit, I had 4 small pears, total weight after trimming and slicing was 310g.

The sugar was 20% of the fruit, and the thickener was 5% tapioca flour. I zested in the peel of a Meyer lemon and a little vanilla.

This filled up the 8” tart mold, cut out scraps of pastry was placed on top along with some crumbled amaretti cookies.

This was baked 400* convection bake for ten minutes  on a  stone.  Reduce temperature to 375* and bake 10 more minutes rotating the tart as needed in your oven.  The last 7/10 minutes was at 350* , watching carefully to prevent bubbling over.

Let  rest at room temperature to set up prior to slicing. Here’s a pic of the filling as of today.  If your fruit is very juicy you can up the percentage of tapioca thickener to 5.5 %.

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

I don’t have a recipe per de for the tart but I am happy to tell what I did. If you are interested in a similar crust, Rose Levy Beranbaum has a video using a Cream Cheese Butter crust. ( it’s painfully long but if you haven’t made one previously, you might be interested in taking a look.) The crust is very flaky, not a cookie style crust.