• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

The Koda is a very hot oven right now (no pun intended).  I know at least 20 people who have pulled the trigger.

With these types of ovens, early adoption is generally not a good idea- and it's an especially poor idea with a company like Ooni, who, for years, until they got their act together, were selling what were basically door stops to unsuspecting beta testers.  They eventually got it right with the Ooni 3, but versions 1 and 2 should never have been sold to the public.

I'm not necessarily saying that the Koda is half baked, but until it's in the hands of someone who knows how to make pizza, and we can clearly see what it's capable of dong, my advice would be to wait.  With these types of ovens, there's usually longevity concerns, but Ooni, so far, hasn't had problems with that.

Normally it takes about a year before we know how well an oven truly performs, but, there's so much interest here, we might see results as quickly as 6 months.

For those interested, here's further information on the leading sub $1k outdoor pizza ovens, along with a spreadsheet containing their perspective specs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/avglku/is_there_actually_a_taste_difference_in_woodfired/ehfv6yr/

scott123

scott123

The Koda is a very hot oven right now (no pun intended).  I know at least 20 people who have pulled the trigger.

With these types of ovens, early adoption is generally not a good idea- and it's an especially poor idea with a company like Ooni, who, for years, until they got their act together, were selling what were basically door stops to unsuspecting beta testers.  They eventually got it right with the Ooni 3, but versions 1 and 2 should never have been sold to the public.

I'm not necessarily saying that the Koda is half baked, but until it's in the hands of someone who knows how to make pizza, and we can clearly see what it's capable of dong, my advice would be to wait.  With these types of ovens, there's usually longevity concerns, but Ooni, so far, hasn't had problems with that.

Normally it takes about a year before we know how well an oven truly performs, but, there's so much interest here, we might see results as quickly as 6 months. 

My recommendation, though, is to wait.

For those interested, here's further information on the leading sub $1k outdoor pizza ovens, along with a spreadsheet containing their perspective specs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/avglku/is_there_actually_a_taste_difference_in_woodfired/ehfv6yr/

scott123

scott123

My recommendation, though, is to wait.

For those interested, here's further information the leading sub $1k outdoor pizza ovens, along with a spreadsheet containing their perspective specs.