• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

On 2/20/2019 at 10:27 AM, Jim D. said:

Recently Andrey Dubovik posted a video on Instagram (which is now included in the thread on the Dubovik online course) on how to get his signature "eye" effect in a decoration. Now I'm wondering how he makes the white portion of the piece below. Doing the eye effect often results in a ragged-looking top of the design (because the cocoa butter doesn't move outward in perfect circles), and something like this circle of white would mask that imperfection. So, apply the white first? But how to get that perfect circle? I don't think painting it in would work since that would require an incredibly steady hand and also painting cocoa butter into a mold doesn't come out this well. Maybe masking off the eye portion, spraying white, then removing the mask and creating the eye?

HI Jim....I know this post is a bit old and perhaps you've got this one figured out....but I saw a video of someone doing this technique.  They fill the mold to the desired level with tempered chocolate and before it fully hardens and contracts away from the mold, they spray the white.  Then, once the chocolate is fully crystalized, they simply turn the mold over and let the pieces fall out, then they proceed with the rest of the decoration.  

Bentley

Bentley

On 2/20/2019 at 10:27 AM, Jim D. said:

Recently Andrey Dubovik posted a video on Instagram (which is now included in the thread on the Dubovik online course) on how to get his signature "eye" effect in a decoration. Now I'm wondering how he makes the white portion of the piece below. Doing the eye effect often results in a ragged-looking top of the design (because the cocoa butter doesn't move outward in perfect circles), and something like this circle of white would mask that imperfection. So, apply the white first? But how to get that perfect circle? I don't think painting it in would work since that would require an incredibly steady hand and also painting cocoa butter into a mold doesn't come out this well. Maybe masking off the eye portion, spraying white, then removing the mask and creating the eye?

HI Jim....I know this post is a bit old and perhaps you've got this one figured out....but I saw a video of someone doing this technique.  They fill the mold 1/2 way with tempered chocolate and before it fully hardens and contracts away from the mold, they spray the white.  Then, once the chocolate is fully crystalized, they simply turn the mold over and let the pieces fall out, then they proceed with the rest of the decoration.