• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

20 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I have a question about polishing molds with cotton balls/pads and alcohol. I seem to get a lot of left over fluff in my mold cavities from my cotton. Are there levels of quality of cotton pads (I’m using the cheap store brand)? Would a lint free cloth work better, do you think? Am I the only one who experiences this?

Happens to me too but usually only when I try to be cheap and get more out of one pad than I probably should. If I switch them out as soon as they start looking a little ragged, it usually doesn't happen.

Edit: Ok, just realized you said "cotton balls/pads and alcohol"... I've never actually done that. I just use the dry pads.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

4 minutes ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I have a question about polishing molds with cotton balls/pads and alcohol. I seem to get a lot of left over fluff in my mold cavities from my cotton. Are there levels of quality of cotton pads (I’m using the cheap store brand)? Would a lint free cloth work better, do you think? Am I the only one who experiences this?

Happens to me too but usually only when I try to be cheap and get more out of one pad than I probably should. If I switch them out as soon as they start looking a little ragged, it usually doesn't happen.