• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

add link

20 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

. One thing that always fascinates me is the names of race horses. There seems to be no rhyme or reason and no grammatical consistency. The names have some kind of peculiarity in common that I can't quite grasp and that I find endlessly entertaining. And yes, the race was exciting.

Thoroughbreds are a breed and by "law" of the regulations must have a name never used so odd permutations occur. Mine was named Bracchus. People would say oh god of wine, The breeders had a vineyard but had to add the "r" because there was another one named Bacchus. I am not fond of the traditional Derby food but find it interesting. https://www.jockeyclub.com/

heidih

heidih

11 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

. One thing that always fascinates me is the names of race horses. There seems to be no rhyme or reason and no grammatical consistency. The names have some kind of peculiarity in common that I can't quite grasp and that I find endlessly entertaining. And yes, the race was exciting.

Thoroughbreds are a breed and by "law" of the regulations must have a name never used so odd permutations occur. Mine was named Bracchus. People would say oh god of wine, The breeders had a vineyard but had to add the "r" because there was another one named Bacchus. I am not fond of the traditional Derby food but find it interesting. 

heidih

heidih

3 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Thoroughbreds are a breed and by "law" of the regulations must have a name never used so odd permutations occur. Mine was named Bracchus. People would say oh god of wine, The breeders had a vineyard but had to add the "r" because there was another one named Bacchus. I am not fommd of the traditional Derby food but find it interesting.