• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish Stew

My Mayo-County-born husband says lots of parsnips, lots of carrots, celery and onions. And really tough meat (read: cheap cut, cubed) cooked for hours. No broth to speak of. He also suggests that any tradional recipe most likely varies from house to house.

So the browned "Irish" stew as depicted in the photo is definitely an American variation then?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

One thing that I think is important with Irish Stew is that two types of potato are used. One a starchy type which breaks down over the long cooking period and in effect thickens the sauce and stops the large amount of fats from dominating the mouth feel. The second a waxy type that holds together and offers some interest to the stew in terms of texture. When I was on the west coast of Ireland, I had a good stew based on this idea, they used some type of local starchy potato that was very yellow fleshed, which gave a stew a golden yellow colour.

Not aversion, simply his mother's version. :wink:

Darina Allen notes that carrots were not traditionally used in stews in the northern parts of the country, but are found more often in the recipes of Counties Cork and Kerry. She goes on to add that rack of lamb was used in Ulster, while mutton or lamb chops (gigot or rack cuts) were more usually employed in the South.

So the browned "Irish" stew as depicted in the photo is definitely an American variation then?

definitely appears to be the case... from About.com's article on the subject:

Today's Irish stew

When the Irish people began immigrating to the United States, fleeing from the ravages of starvation caused by the potato famine, they naturally brought along their wonderful hearty food traditions. The stew evolved and adapted to include the local offerings. Sheep were not as plentiful, so other types of meat were often substituted. When made in the traditional manner, the result is very thick and hearty, not thin like soup. The recipe has evolved to often include Guinness stout. Some variations have exalted this original peasant dish to near gourmet status. Whether you like the basic version or a more fancy one, please read on to try one of the many recipes for Irish Stew.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

One thing that I think is important with Irish Stew is that two types of potato are used. One a starchy type which breaks down over the long cooking period and in effect thickens the sauce and stops the large amount of fats from dominating the mouth feel. The second a waxy type that holds together and offers some interest to the stew in terms of texture. When I was on the west coast of Ireland, I had a good stew based on this idea, they used some type of local starchy potato that was very yellow fleshed, which gave a stew a golden yellow colour.

That is very interesting. In the cioppino thread, I mentioned experimenting with small waxy and starchy potatos in the fish stew. It is not part of the "authentic" recipe, but I found that they added to the texture and taste of this "fisherman's stew."

definitely appears to be the case... from About.com's article on the subject:

Today's Irish stew

When the Irish people began immigrating to the United States, fleeing from the ravages of starvation caused by the potato famine, they naturally brought along their wonderful hearty food traditions. The stew evolved and adapted to include the local offerings. Sheep were not as plentiful, so other types of meat were often substituted. When made in the traditional manner, the result is very thick and hearty, not thin like soup. The recipe has evolved to often include Guinness stout. Some variations have exalted this original peasant dish to near gourmet status. Whether you like the basic version or a more fancy one, please read on to try one of the many recipes for Irish Stew.

So, it's like American style pizza v Italian style pizza? I presume that it wasn't originally called Irish stew in Ireland, so maybe the only authentic version is a foreign version? Not with tomatoes though.

She goes on to add that rack of lamb was used in Ulster, while mutton or lamb chops (gigot or rack cuts) were more usually employed in the South.

Interesting, no mention of Best end of neck, which is the cut of meat I always associate with Irish stew.

I prefer to have meat on the bone for this which is why cutlets work so well

The best end, is I find, great for lamb curries

S

Thanks for all the different ideas! I have to admit I had never heard of or seen in Chicago Irish Stew as not being based in a beef broth but now Im even more intrigued by Irish Stew, thanks. :smile:

And as far as my picture of Irish Stew I had posted, it was taken from the website of Curragh's Pub, located in the outskirts of Chicago. Here is what they say about their Irish stew:

It doesn't get any more down home than this! - the Curragh's Irish Stew.

Tender pieces of lamb slow cooked with carrots, potatoes, and herbs. Served with brown bread this dish simply sings out as an Irish speciality.

Here is their website:

http://www.curraghpub.com/about/welcome/fs_about.htm

Edited by awbrig (log)

Then we can infer what Yorkshire pudding is called in Yorkshire, I suppose.

I was just observing that it's not unheard of for regional specialities to bear the name of the region even when they're served in the region. If you see what I mean.

Wow this is interesting. The Irish stew I have known, cooked, is a blanquette/white construction. Myrtle Allen (the aforereferenced Darina's mother-in-law, I believe) says she traditionally she followed the blanquette method but later came to browning the meat and using stock and so forth. Theodora Fitzgibbon, blanquette, and layers of ingredients, and not too much liquid. Carrots.

Searing and deglazing, conventional stew techniques, got nothing against 'em, of course.

But the beauty of blanquettes is exactly precisely their mildness. Sometimes I like a blanquette, especially the b. de veau, just to recalibrate my palate for subtle flavors. In fact this is going to send me to the German meat market with the fantastic veal for stew, I just know it.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Then we can infer what Yorkshire pudding is called in Yorkshire, I suppose.

I was just observing that it's not unheard of for regional specialities to bear the name of the region even when they're served in the region.  If you see what I mean.

You will of course note the use of the word "originally" in my post. I would dare hazard that in the early dawn of time when the Yorkshire Pudding was invented it wasn't called a Yorkshire pudding, especially in Yorkshire because that would be rather presumptious for the sons of the dales. Furthermore, I have a documented recipe from Scotland for Yorkshire pudding from a book published in the 1760's, however in this instance it was not called Yorkshire pudding, but "Batter Pudding to go under meat". You show me documentation of original use of "Yorkshire Pudding" in Yorkshire, by a native Yorshire-person and maybe I will remember the Searcher of the Little hidden truths of life Wilfrid of yore, not this Wilnicki hybrid being that is stalking the pages of this thread. :biggrin: