• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish Stew

What do you mean by "Irish Stew"? What are the parameters?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

You never heard of Irish Stew? The pic above shows you what it looks like...normally potatoes, chunks of lamb or beef maybe veal if you're feeling frisky, carrots, onion, beef broth, you know, Irish Stew!

shamrock.gif

Edited by awbrig (log)

What's Irish about it? Just seems like stew to me. And sounds like you have the ingredients down pretty well. Sautee some onions and garlic first, then add some broth, the meat, vegetables, seasoning...cook for a while, then put in your chunks of potatoes, and when they're done, voila. You could thicken the sauce if you want with a roux.

What's Irish about it? Just seems like stew to me. And sounds like you have the ingredients down pretty well. Sautee some onions and garlic first, then add some broth, the meat, vegetables, seasoning...cook for a while, then put in your chunks of potatoes, and when they're done, voila. You could thicken the sauce if you want with a roux.

You are as charming as a car accident, Nina. You never fail to impress...

Edited by awbrig (log)

You are as charming as a car accident, Nina. You never fail to impress...

For the record.

Um, you probably DON'T want to make an "authentic" "Irish stew" -- at least, not if you want to impress anyone. All it has is lamb (actually, mutton), sliced onions, sliced potatoes, water, and salt & pepper. The proportions for 8 portions are: about 3 lbs meat to 5 lbs potatoes to 5 large onions. No browning; just layer potatoes, meat, onion, potatoes, meat, onion, etc. seasoning each layer. Add about 2 cups of water. Cover tightly. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook for about 2 to 3 hours, shaking the pan occasionally to keep the potatoes from sticking. Mmmm, yum :blink::blink:

Take La Niña's (sort of) advice -- just make a regular lamb stew with all those other good-tasting things in it. Unless, of course, you're entertaining a real stickler for authenticity. :rolleyes:

Awbrig -- did you check recipe sites? Epicurious has three recipes for Irish Stew. It's interesting to note that the recipe from 1963 has the highest user ratings (but it's certainly not a scientific measurement system). I can't speak for any of the recipes but they look reasonably good --

And also to add to Nina's extremely insightful and helpful comments...isnt she always though? :laugh: Irish stew can be very simple to very complex. Very Traditional to very Gourmet. Some use Barley, some use parsnips...maybe even rabbit... In case you thought Irish Stew was just stew as Chef Nina says, here's a link for more info...

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archi...hive/blss31.htm

However, again, if anyone has a great Irish Stew recipe I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Edited by awbrig (log)

Do you always ask questions to show how much you know about the subject? It is tiresome.

Try Dinty Moore. They make an excellent product. Add some

'96 Opus One and no one will know you didn't cook it yourself from your many different recipes.

Advice is only worth something if it's taken. You don't seem to need any.

Look at what you just did. You post a question. Jin asks you to define what you mean. Nina suggests that stew is stew. Others answer seriously. You reply by lecturing everyone on how much you know about the subject, say how much experience you have making irish stew, post a website to tell people what they can learn about a subject you asked them about in the first place. Then you say you're only interested in a "killer" recipe. To be blunt about it, that performance is kind of obonxious

Edited by jaybee (log)

What are you talking about? I simply asked if someone had a great recipe for this kind of stew? Of course, Nina was of no help, since she has never even heard of it before and tends to make snotty comments on my threads...and then your personal attack makes things interesting...

Advice is only worth something if it's taken. You don't seem to need any.
I really dont understand your comment..please explain it to me...

I certainly had heard about it. Traditional Irish stew is as Suzanne said. The stew you described (and pictured) was just normal stew - beef stew, lamb stew, "Irish" stew - just a stew. I simply asked what was Irish about it, and made a suggestion. Then Suzanne suggested you take my advice. Your next response was a personal attack.

Edited by La Niña (log)

You never heard of Irish Stew? The pic above shows you what it looks like...normally potatoes, chunks of lamb or beef maybe veal if you're feeling frisky, carrots, onion, beef broth, you know, Irish Stew!

And you don't think that answer to Jin's question was inappropriate?

jaybee,

I posted a link to Irish Stew for those that had never heard of it before or needed more info on it or for those that thought Irish stew was simply "a stew".

Yes, there are many recipes for it and thats exactly my point...its not just a stew - thre are many interpretations - and I simply wanted to know if anyone had a terrific personal recipe they really enjoyed that they wanted to share...if thats comopletely "obnoxious" I hope others beside you and Nina tell me im way out of line here...I really would like to know...

Edited by awbrig (log)

jaybee,

dude, chill. the comment to jin was tongue in cheek and im sure she wasnt offended...I was surprised she hadnt heard of it, is all.. if she felt it was inappropriate she can answer her own self...

Edited by awbrig (log)

One last time. Read the thread from the top, awbrig. Look at the sequence. Understand the replies you gave. If you can't see what I'm saying, I'm wasting everyone's time. I'm not breaking your chops. You did a very insulting and condescending thing in the way you set this up. Dude.

Edited by jaybee (log)

I have heard of it, awbrig.

I just didn't know what you meant by the term.

If anything Irish-ish goes, I suggest chunks of lamb shoulder, seared, remove, lift fond with Irish whisky. Add to fine mire poix once it sweats, braise for four hours. Remove meat, strain (this means many many times until clear for those playing at home) the stock. Regrigerate until next day. Skim any fat left. Heat stock, add pints o' Guiness, add meat. Add brunoise of tatties 'n' neeps. Simmer forty minutes. Mount with butter. Serve with soda bread and a dash of cream, roasted carrots with chervil.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'll take good old braised lamb shanks anyday over "Irish stew".

*does a Homer Simpson impression*

Mmmm, lamb. :smile:

Speaking of lamb, maybe its time to start a lamb thread, but first, dinner. (Nothing fancy here folks, just broiled chicken breasts, brown rice, steamed broccoli and green tea.)

SA