• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

8 hours ago, Jim D. said:

That is very interesting. I had not heard that before.  I have always labored under the assumption (maybe delusion) that allowing chocolate to be overtempered doesn't matter all that much. I will start paying attention and try to see if there is a pattern (such as do early shells release better than ones made later in the process?).

I think I meant to say contract rather than retract. I kind of think of it as over-tempered chocolate is already full of crystals so there is less work to do pulling them all together as it cools. The crystals don't have to move as far to come together so the chocolate doesn't shrink as much.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 minute ago, Jim D. said:

That is very interesting. I had not heard that before.  I have always labored under the assumption (maybe delusion) that allowing chocolate to be overtempered doesn't matter all that much. I will start paying attention and try to see if there is a pattern (such as do early shells release better than ones made later in the process?).

I think I meant to say contract rather than retract. I kind of think of it ad overtempered chocolate is already full of crystals so there is less work to do pulling them all together as it cools