• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Yoda

Yoda

Spelling

On 4/5/2017 at 2:44 AM, pastrygirl said:

Bombe is like Italian meringue but with yolks?  Are you able to measure the temp of the mix?  See how hot it is the next few times you make it.  I make Italian meringue buttercream with fresh whites all the time and don't worry about it, I'll have to check the temp next time.

@pastrygirl, have you ever gotten into checking the temperature of the meringue or PAB?

What IS the safe temperature you have to reach to get the eggs pasteurized in a matter of seconds (and not cooking them)?

Is creme anglaise a pasteurized product  (by reaching 82°C)?

Is there a good book or some other resource on food safety regarding temperatures and water content, etc. (preferably with graphs) anyone would recommend? 

Yoda

Yoda

On 4/5/2017 at 2:44 AM, pastrygirl said:

Bombe is like Italian meringue but with yolks?  Are you able to measure the temp of the mix?  See how hot it is the next few times you make it.  I make Italian meringue buttercream with fresh whites all the time and don't worry about it, I'll have to check the temp next time.

@pastrygirl, have you ever gotten into checking the temperature if the meringue or PAB?

What IS the safe temperature you have to reach to get the eggs pasteurized in a mater of seconds (and not cooking them)?

Is creme anglaise a pasteurized product  (by reaching 82°C)?

Is there a good book, or some other resource on food safety regarding temperatures and water content etc (preferably with graphs) anyone would recommend?