• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

BeeZee

Lodge Carbon Steel skillet

39 posts in this topic

I'd probably go with Matfer, just because they've been doing this a long time and I've never heard of anyone having problems. In general I'd prefer to shop for these pans in person at a restaurant store. Carbon steel pans come in a range of weights/thicknesses, and can be hard to know what's what based on descriptions. Generally, if you have a more powerful your range, you can benefit from a thinner pan (more responsive). If you have a weaker consumer range, you need more thermal mass. 

Preseasoning will save a few minutes of your time on a product that will last a hundred years. I wouldn't consider it a serious benefit. I've never heard of a restaurant seasoning these things; they just throw them on the fire and start cooking. 

I actually have had issues with my Matfer and seasoning.

I did about 12 coats of flax oil, looked great when done - but after cooking a steak and a quick rinse with hot water and a brush of a cloth, some of it chipped away.

Quite annoying.

I've heard that flaxseed oil leaves a brittle seasoning that's liable to flake off. I never use the stuff (though I did use it for the initial round of seasoning on my first Darto pans). It's an expensive product that has no other use in my kitchen. And it's prone to go rancid. I don't know where the lore about using flax came from (though I suspect Sheryl Canter plays a big part in the story) but it's not worth tracking down and paying for in my experience.

On a related note, people stress way too hard about what oil to use to season cast iron and carbon steel.

Way too hard.

if you choose to use Fax Seed Oil, you can get a small bottle in a health / vitamin store

its not that expensive that way.

and its true  its only good for seasoning pans  I keep it in the refrigerator or freezer and bring to room temp if my pans need a bit more seasoning.

My suggestion is not to stress about it and not to buy a special, expensive bottle of uni-tasking oil that you have to source from a "health food" store and sit taking up space in your refrigerator. Especially if it leaves a brittle layer of seasoning that is liable to chip. If you want to use a "drying oil" with a similar fatty acid profile to flaxseed oil that actually has a culinary purpose and tastes delicious, use walnut oil. I mostly use "light" olive oil, but tend to use whatever I have on hand. 

While I appreciate the concern about my sourcing/cost of said oil, with that aside, I was simply curious what others who own a Matfer have successfully used.

I have successfully used lard, walnut oil, and olive oil on my Matfer.

Have you checked the smoke point of flax oil lately?

I use refined "extra light" olive oil as my neutral cooking oil, and that's what I use to season with (though I'll use EVOO sometimes if that's what's nearby). The smoke point of extra light olive oil is around 470F.

I don't think that an oil's smoke point is a reliable indicator of its ability to season pans (provided that you're not using something like avocado oil that has a smoke point higher than your oven might go).

Edited by btbyrd (log)

2 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Have you checked the smoke point of flax oil lately?

I use refined "extra light" olive oil as my neutral cooking oil, and that's what I use to season with (though I'll use EVOO sometimes if that's what's nearby). The smoke point of extra light olive oil is around 470F.

I don't think that an oil's smoke point is a reliable indicator of anything related to ability to season pans (provided that you're not picking something like avocado oil that has a smoke point higher than your oven might go).

Apparently I am not alone in sometimes finding it difficult to separate the different objectives of oils for cooking and oils for seasoning. One rarely wants an oil to reach smoke point if it is for cooking purposes. But when one is trying to "polymerize" an oil I am making the assumption that smoking is not such a bad thing.  I love walnut oil but it has never occurred to me to cook with it nor to season anything with it. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tictac,  I have used flaxseed, and  canola oil   on my Matfer.  I did not say successfully, because while I followed the instructions about using the potato skins and canola oil and salt and built up a beautiful seasoning, a few weeks later I deglazed the pan with some wine, and lost most of the seasoning.  I then stripped it, and did the thin coat of flaxseed, bake for hour at 400, then repeat numerous times ,  and within a week or two ,  had pieces of the seasoning come off stuck to food.  Stripped again and repeated the canola oil with potato skins and salt, and again had issues with the seasoning coming off in places with use.  Now mine is pretty blotchy, and I have seen photos of others who have the same issue.