• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Tutti Frutti. Feeling fruity?

(I have searched and, to my surprise, can find no dedicated fruit topic. I know the search here is deeply flawed, so I could be wrong. Also I couldn't actually find a suitable topic category to put this in. None of the topic descriptions match.)

I'm just wondering what fresh fruit you have access to now. We all live in widely scattered places and climates, so I'll wager there are big differences.

This is what I have right now.

fruit.thumb.jpg.350010a5c1bb85db04b89dafb21be9bc.jpg

Bananas - available year round. Those are Cavendish bananas, but we get different varieties, too.

Longan (龙眼 lóng yǎn; literally "dragon's eyes"). I'm surprised to see these now. They are usually midsummer fruits, but then the weather has been unusually warm (not that global warming exists, oh no! All a Chinese plot.)

Loquat (枇杷 pí pa). Right time for them.

Strawberries (草莓 cǎo méi; literally "grass berries"). It has always confused me, but Christmas onwards is strawberry season in China. Back in England always summer.

I also have loads of apples.

What you got?

liuzhou

liuzhou

Tutti Frutti. Feeling fruity?

(I have searched and, to my surprise, can find no dedicated fruit topic. I know the search here is deeply flawed, so I could bewrong. Also I couldn't actually find a suitable topic category to put this in. None of the topic descriptions match.)

I'm just wondering what fruit you have access to now. We all live in widely scattered places and climates, so I'll wager there are big differences.

This is what I have right now.

fruit.thumb.jpg.350010a5c1bb85db04b89dafb21be9bc.jpg

Bananas - available year round. Those are Cavendish bananas, but we get different varieties, too.

Longan (龙眼 lóng yǎn; literally "dragon's eyes"). I'm surprised to see these now. They are usually midsummer fruits, but then the weather has been unusually warm (not that global warming exist, oh no. - all a Chinese plot.)

Loquat (枇杷 pí pa). Right time for them

Strawberries (草莓 cǎo méi; literally "grass berries"). It has always confused me, but Christmas onwards is strawberry season in China. Back in England always summer.. 

I also have loads of apples.

What you got?