• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

@Tropicalsenior  We have the same native avocados as you do, and as we did in FL.  They won't stand up to chiles so a spicy guac is out of the question with them.  A former neighbor here in MX made hers into Avocado Ice Cream which was a delight.  At our current home our next door neighbor's tree overhangs our yard; I pick up the intact fallen ones and save for our gardener....it's a race to get them before the ardillas (squirrels) do 🙂

Haas avocados are grown in both our state (Jalisco) as well as Michoacan next door.  The cartels run most of the large avocado farms and they export almost all of their crop to US and Canada. 

I have been going back and forth between US and MX this past year and I pay about double for avocados when in MX, even though the avocados in my US groceries are all from MX, probably within a few hours drive of my home. 

gulfporter

gulfporter

@Tropicalsenior  We have the same native avocados as you do, and as we did in FL.  They won't stand up to chiles so a spicy guac is out of the question with them.  A former neighbor here in MX made her's into Avocado Ice Cream which was a delight.  At our current home our next door neighbor's tree overhangs our yard; I pick up the intact fallen ones and save for our gardener....it's a race to get them before the ardillas (squirrels) do 🙂

Haas avocados are grown in both our state (Jalisco) as well as Michoacan next door.  The cartels run most of the large avocado farms and they export almost all of their crop to US and Canada. 

I have been going back and forth between US and MX this past year and I pay about double for avocados when in MX, even though the avocados in my US groceries are all from MX, probably within a few hours drive of my home.