• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I picked this up a couple of days ago but have been waiting for it to soften before sharing it.

In Chinese, it was called a 糯米牛油果 (), literally, glutinous rice butter fruit, actually glutinous rice avocado. What is 'glutinous rice' about it, I have no idea. At first I thought it was a long-necked avocado, but at 6 inches it was less than half their usual length. A short long neck avocado?

avo1.thumb.jpg.be41204bff2ab7af13b0d889f38557d5.jpg

Opening it this afternoon, I found it tasted just like a regular avocado with a similar flesh to stone ratio as the regular shaped type. OK. but nothing special.

avo.thumb.jpg.d7c821aea700876df19a83b7d991e75f.jpg

There was no indication as to where it came from. Most of our avocados are from Chile,, due to a tarrif-free agreement with China.

I bought this an hour or so before reading this.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I picked this up a couple of days ago but have been waiting for it to soften before sharing it.

In Chinese, it was called a 糯米牛油果 (), literally, glutinous rice butter fruit, actually glutinous rice avocado. What is 'glutinous rice' about it, I have no idea. At first I thought it was a long-necked avocado, but at 6 inches it was less than half their usual length. A short long neck avocado?

avo1.thumb.jpg.be41204bff2ab7af13b0d889f38557d5.jpg

Opening this afternoon, I found it tastes just like a regular avocado with a similar flesh to stone ratio as the regular shaped type. OK. but nothing special.

avo.thumb.jpg.d7c821aea700876df19a83b7d991e75f.jpg

There was no indication as to where it came from. Most of our avocados are from Chile due to a tarrif-free agreement with China.

I bought this an hour or so before reading this.