• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

quiet1

quiet1

18 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

How about pancakes or crepes? Just use a vegan 'milk' substitute, and skip the butter.

Turkey is pretty low fat, you could make lowfat gravy for it as well.

Many recipes could be converted to use tofu instead of a fattier meat. Check out some vegetarian websites.

How about Japanese ramen with lots of stuff on top? Chinese congee can be fun, too.

There's also the world of rice noodles which are popular across Asia. You could take the shrimp, pork and veggies out of Singapore noodles and still have a fun side dish. -Or use marinated/baked tofu for a main dish.

Veganaise is available in a low fat version, with half the calories. Maybe this could be used sparingly on tuna sandwiches. That said, people who hate mayo somehow manage to eat tuna sandwiches, so there must be some sort of tasty low-fat method for making them -even if it's just putting tuna and a little salt on toast.

I made pancakes with Lactaid (which is cheating a bit but seems to be ok) and those are pretty successful as an edible meal, although I'm sure I will get bored of them eventually. I could try waffles too I suppose. I need some kind of flavoring to add other than maple syrup. I have some Small Hands Raspberry Gum Syrup for the home bar, would using that as pancake syrup be too ridiculous? :D

My mom suggested making 'carrot cake' pancakes by adding some carrot purée to the mix, I might try that too.

(Pancakes are extra handy because it is easier to limit myself in portion size as I'm also supposed to be eating smaller meals more often and I'm usually a one big meal and some snacking kind of person. The pancakes I make usually reheat well in the toaster so I just plate a couple of small ones and then refrigerate the rest for a quick meal later.)

Tomorrow's planned experiment for dinner was going to be ground chicken stir-fried with fresh ginger, scallions, and a tiny sprinkle of diced water chestnuts for crunch, probably with rice, but we may be going to a hockey game instead. (Heck knows what I will eat there. Maybe I should try to smuggle in some cold pancakes...) But I was thinking sort of along the lines of a dumpling filling type flavor profile.

ETA: I want to thank everyone who has chimed in so far. This is really helping to get me thinking of stuff I CAN eat and how to be creative about the restrictions, instead of eyeballing pizza commercials mournfully and being sad about bacon. (And we don't even normally HAVE that much pizza or bacon!) So thanks a bunch. :)

quiet1

quiet1

11 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

How about pancakes or crepes? Just use a vegan 'milk' substitute, and skip the butter.

Turkey is pretty low fat, you could make lowfat gravy for it as well.

Many recipes could be converted to use tofu instead of a fattier meat. Check out some vegetarian websites.

How about Japanese ramen with lots of stuff on top? Chinese congee can be fun, too.

There's also the world of rice noodles which are popular across Asia. You could take the shrimp, pork and veggies out of Singapore noodles and still have a fun side dish. -Or use marinated/baked tofu for a main dish.

Veganaise is available in a low fat version, with half the calories. Maybe this could be used sparingly on tuna sandwiches. That said, people who hate mayo somehow manage to eat tuna sandwiches, so there must be some sort of tasty low-fat method for making them -even if it's just putting tuna and a little salt on toast.

I made pancakes with Lactaid (which is cheating a bit but seems to be ok) and those are pretty successful as an edible meal, although I'm sure I will get bored of them eventually. I could try waffles too I suppose. I need some kind of flavoring to add other than maple syrup. I have some Small Hands Raspberry Gum Syrup for the home bar, would using that as pancake syrup be too ridiculous? :D

My mom suggested making 'carrot cake' pancakes by adding some carrot purée to the mix, I might try that too.

(Pancakes are extra handy because it is easier to limit myself in portion size as I'm also supposed to be eating smaller meals more often and I'm usually a one big meal and some snacking kind of person. The pancakes I make usually reheat well in the toaster so I just plate a couple of small ones and then refrigerate the rest for a quick meal later.)

Tomorrow's planned experiment for dinner was going to be ground chicken stir-fried with fresh ginger, scallions, and a tiny sprinkle of diced water chestnuts for crunch, probably with rice, but we may be going to a hockey game instead. (Heck knows what I will eat there. Maybe I should try to smuggle in some cold pancakes...) But I was thinking sort of along the lines of a dumpling filling type flavor profile.