• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

Im sure there is a thread on ID'g Chinese / oriental products  but I could not find it.

there is a new and nice Oriental market near me.  Chinese +++  thai , indian , japanese.   its tied to a decent Chinese take out.

decent prices   much easier to get to than Chinatown  etc.

I was looking for ' Tree Ears ' that one might use in Hot&Sour soup.

this market had this item :

TF.jpg

which I got , they told me it comes Korea .  no matter  its thinnish and crinkly  

they had another dried item that was sliced very thin , dried,  that came from China.  they liked this item better. 

they did not understand the English  ' Wood Ears '   no matter.   Im not looking for ' authenticity ' per se 

are these Wood Ears   or somethings similar ?

many thanks

rotuts

rotuts

Im sure there is a thread on ID'g Chinese / oriental products  but I could not find it.

there is a new and nice Oriental market near me.  Chinese +++  thai , indian , japanese.   its tied to a decent Chinese take out.

decent prices   much easier to get to than Chinatown  etc.

I was looking for ' Tree Ears ' that one might use in Hot&Sour soup.

this market had this item :

TF.jpg

which I got , they told me it comes Korea .  no matter

they had another dried item that was sliced very thin , dried that came from China.  they liked this item better. 

they did not understand the English  ' Wood Ears '   no matter.   Im not looking for ' authenticity ' per se 

are these Wood Ears   or somethings similar ?

many thanks