• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I forgot to mention that my friend Sam the "egg man" gave me a lovely 7.5 pound duck for my Christmas present.  Along with some lovely eggs.

He raises fancy chickens, ducks, geese, game birds etc.

He has one of the newiish "flash freezing" (commercial) units.  It really works - 

He brought me the duck on the Monday before Christmas and I left it in the fridge.  It was still frozen solid on Christmas so I cooked something else.  I did not want to thaw it rapidly because I have had not so good results when I did that in the past.

Yesterday it was finally defrosted enough - although the parts inside the cavity were still frozen but I was able to extract them.

I decided to do a braise (I cooked hundreds of ducks this way back when I was catering) so I made a "bed" of celery stalks and put the duck in breast down for 3 hours at 225°F covered then another hour breast up before applying the orange sauce I prepared during the time it was cooking.

This is immediately after I turned it over so it is breast up.  I used a poultry hook, inserting it fully into the cavity, lifting and "spinning" the bird with just a fork. Simple and safe.

2:3 through, just turned over.png

And this is the amount of liquid that rendered out of the bird during the long, slow braise.  I consider this one of the best parts of using this method of cooking.

Duck fat.jpg

I then uncovered it  raised the temp to 375°F  and set the timer for 30 minutes:

This is what it looked like.

duck end of roast1.jpg

Returned it to the over for another 20 minutes.

duck end of roast 2.jpg

Done - transferred to a 12-inch platter.

duck on plate.png

And the breasts and legs parted out.

Duck final.png

The poultry hook works for any big hunk of meat that you have to turn. I have used it on hams, roasts, etc. even on really big turkeys.

poultry hook.jpg

andiesenji

andiesenji

I forgot to mention that my friend Sam the "egg man" gave me a lovely 7.5 pound duck. He raises fancy chickens, ducks, geese, game birds etc.

He has one of the newiish "flash freezing" (commercial) units.  It really works - 

He brought me the duck on the Monday before Christmas and I left it in the fridge.  It was still frozen solid on Christmas so I cooked something else.  I did not want to thaw it rapidly because I have had not so good results when I did that in the past.

Yesterday it was finally defrosted enough - although the parts inside the cavity were still frozen but I was able to extract them.

I decided to do a braise (I cooked hundreds of ducks this way back when I was catering) so I made a "bed" of celery stalks and put the duck in breast down for 3 hours at 225°F covered then another hour breast up before applying the orange sauce I prepared during the time it was cooking.

This is immediately after I turned it over so it is breast up.  I used a poultry hook, inserting it fully into the cavity, lifting and "spinning" the bird with just a fork. Simple and safe.

2:3 through, just turned over.png

And this is the amount of liquid that rendered out of the bird during the long, slow braise.  I consider this one of the best parts of using this method of cooking.

Duck fat.jpg

I then uncovered it  raised the temp to 375°F  and set the timer for 30 minutes:

This is what it looked like.

duck end of roast1.jpg

Returned it to the over for another 20 minutes.

duck end of roast 2.jpg

Done - transferred to a 12-inch platter.

duck on plate.png

And the breasts and legs parted out.

Duck final.png

The poultry hook works for any big hunk of meat that you have to turn. I have used it on hams, roasts, etc. even on really big turkeys.

poultry hook.jpg