• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Yiannos

Yiannos

extra word

@gfron1 I understand your point of view too! I meant no offense at all, I hope you didn't take it that way. I am (unfortunately) not in the industry and really don't have a sense of these kinds of hurdles people like you have to deal with. I do not know how one would acknowledge the sometimes difficult history of a dish or cuisine, or how far one has to go to do as much. But I do think that if your food is delicious, it has achieved it's main goal, regardless of where it came from. Not saying to ignore history, or forget about the origins and people involved in a cuisine, but if a dish tastes fantastic I feel like that's where ones' responsibility to it ends. I know this is not the reality of things today, but how sad if we forget about why we cook and eat because we are constantly embroiled in the politics of it all.

Yiannos

Yiannos

@gfron1 I understand your point of view too! I meant no offense at all, I hope you didn't take it that way. I am (unfortunately) not in the industry and really don't have a sense of these kinds of hurdles people like you have to deal with. I do not know how one would acknowledge the sometimes difficult history of a dish or cuisine, or how far one has to go to do as much. But I do think that if your food is delicious, it has achieved it's main goal, regardless of where it came from. Not saying to ignore history, or forget about the origins and people involved in a cuisine, but if it a dish tastes fantastic I feel like that's where ones' responsibility to it ends. I know this is not the reality of things today, but how sad if we forget about why we cook and eat because we are constantly embroiled in the politics of it all.