• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liberte Restaurant Montclair

menton1

I was thinking of going to this well thought of restaurant in the next couple of weeks-- Anybody have some thoughts on the place?

As a side note, I noticed on their web site that they serve Escolar, a South American fish that was banned for a few years, and has the reputation of causing diarrhea and/or severe abdominal discomfort!! Why would they continue to serve this controversial fish?

Escolar is perfectly edible, even tasty. It is a deepwater fish that is a member of the tuna family. However it is very rich and oily, in a good way. You should only eat it as a tasting or appetizer. Having a 1 lb escolar steak could cause a side effect, like eating any other really rich food.

I have served Escolar as a 12 oz Main course, mostly grilled, over the past few months and found my customers enjoy it. I've had it myself and also enjoyed it. My fish guy originally labeled it as Hawaiian Butterfish. Once he received repeat orders it became known by its original name, Escolar. I find it has the same texture as Tuna but similar in oily taste as Center-cut Swordfish loin. If you see in in a restaurant you trust I recommend you try it. Perhaps spliting a main course as an appetizer would be a good idea. Don't worry about asking, any restaurant should encourage their customers to experience something different with limited risk.

Escolar is perfectly edible, even tasty.  It is a deepwater fish that is a member of the tuna family.  However it is very rich and oily, in a good way.  You should only eat it as a tasting or appetizer.  Having a 1 lb escolar steak could cause a side effect, like eating any other really rich food.

The Ex-lax fish :sad:

Escolar does indeed cause side effects in some individuals. Not everyone is effected.

It's the same thing with olestra used in the WOW brand of Chips from Frito lays.

Since olestra can't be digested by the human body it causes dirrhea in some people. Or as the labels reads "may cause anal leakage".

A report on escolar from Australia :shock:

And if you still want to try it, here's a recipe to make it at home :blink::laugh:

I don't serve it anymore. In a private member environment, I just don't need the potential headache. I have served it in the past and I have eaten it (in small appetizer type amounts) with no ill effects. It's pretty tasty stuff.

I don't see a *large* problem with it, as long as people have good info about the fish and are comfortable with the potential risks. Kind of like a diabetic eating candy sweetened with manitol. Same problem. The Olestra analogy sounds right.

FWIW, YMMV

Nick

There is a good thread going on on Egullet General Food Topics-- I have added a link to a story in California where a woman purportedly died from eating escolar!! This fish should really be banned, why should eating any food be like rolling the dice? Check it out:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...=0entry194025

http://www.nbc4.tv/newslinks/1773988/detail.html