• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

6 hours ago, Allura said:

....my mom, who's 2nd generation Italian-American, refuses to make anything Italian for Thanksgiving. My grandmother was the same way. Thanksgiving was an "All American" holiday.

Yeah....I was thinking sort of the same thing and I'm speaking only for myself here...

If I was dropped into a different culture with a holiday that I knew little or nothing about....I doubt I'd taint it with stuff from my own culture....certainly not at first anyway.

I'd be MUCH more interested in the tradition!

Anyway, it's an interesting piece!

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

4 hours ago, Allura said:

....my mom, who's 2nd generation Italian-American, refuses to make anything Italian for Thanksgiving. My grandmother was the same way. Thanksgiving was an "All American" holiday.

Yeah....I was thinking sort of the same thing and I'm only speaking for myself here...

If I was dropped into a different culture with a holiday that I knew little or nothing about....I doubt I'd taint it with stuff from my own culture....certainly not at first anyway.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

4 hours ago, Allura said:

Yeah....I was thinking the exact same thing and I'm only speaking for myself here.