• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

12 hours ago, btbyrd said:

SV offers no real advantages for meat-based stock. Pressure cookers are much better for that purpose. You can get some lovely, clear and aromatic vegetable stocks using SV though.

Agreed ... I've tried it both ways and the pressure-cooked stocks are a bit better and much easier. 

I still use SV for veggie stocks, as BTB says, and it's sublime for fish stock. I use ziploc bags, which are close to the temperature limit when making stocks, so leaks are a concern. Sometimes I double-bag stocks, out of paranoia. The outer bag stays clean and is easy to reuse.

SV is also useful if you're doing Modernist Cuisine-style low-temperature "jus" kinds of stocks, where you're aiming for a red color and rare meat flavor

paulraphael

paulraphael

45 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

SV offers no real advantages for meat-based stock. Pressure cookers are much better for that purpose. You can get some lovely, clear and aromatic vegetable stocks using SV though.

Agreed ... I've tried it both ways and the pressure-cooked stocks are a bit better and much easier. 

I still use SV for veggie stocks, as BTB says, and it's sublime for fish stock. I use ziploc bags, which are close to the temperature limit when making stocks, so leaks are a concern. Sometimes I double-bag stocks, out of paranoia. The outer bag stays clean and is easy to reuse, unless you get a leak.

SV is also useful if you're doing Modernist Cuisine-style low-temperature "jus" kinds of stocks, where you're aiming for a red color and rare meat flavor

paulraphael

paulraphael

34 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I still use SV for veggie stocks, as BTB says, and it's sublime for fish stock. I use ziploc bags, which are close to the temperature limit when making stocks, so leaks are a concern. Sometimes I double-bag stocks, out of paranoia. The outer bag stays clean and is easy to reuse, unless you get a leak.