• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

53 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've wanted one for ages. I've set up a makeshift smoker on my gas grill, but it leaves much to be desired. Went to the grocery today and spent much time looking at potential things to smoke...

I had good luck smoking the $1.49 boneless pork shoulder roast you mentioned up thread. I gave it a liberal dry rub with the usual characters left it uncovered in the fridge overnight, hickory smoked it ( in a Masterbuilt electric smoker) at 224 F to an internal temp of 200 F, in a pan to collect the juices, from which I separated the fat and added the juice back to the pulled pork. Served with a Piedmont style BBQ sauce and some freshly made coleslaw on Aldi Hamburg rolls for several memorable meals!

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

31 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've wanted one for ages. I've set up a makeshift smoker on my gas grill, but it leaves much to be desired. Went to the grocery today and spent much time looking at potential things to smoke...

I had good luck smoking the $1.49 boneless pork shoulder roast you mentioned up thread. I gave it a liberal dry rub with the usual characters left it uncovered in the fridge overnight, hickory smoked it ( in a Masterbuilt electric smoker) to an internal temp of 200 F, in a pan to collect the juices, from which I separated the fat and added the juice back to the pulled pork. Served with a Piedmont style BBQ sauce and some freshly made coleslaw on Aldi Hamburg rolls for several memorable meals!

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

27 minutes ago, kayb said:

I had good luck smoking the $1.49 boneless pork shoulder roast you mentioned up thread. I gave it a liberal dry rub with the usual characters. Left it uncovered in the fridge overnight, hickory smoked it ( in a Masterbuilt electric smoker) to an internal temp of 200 F, in a pan to collect the juices, from which I separated the fat and added the juice back to the pulled pork. Served with a Piedmont style BBQ sauce and some freshly made coleslaw on Aldi Hamburg rolls for several memorable meals!

HC