• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

23 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

@btbyrd beautiful sear on that steak.  Yesterday it was six dollar day at a local "bargin bin" store where I spotted a nice Mafter pan.  Once home it took about two minutes with my vise to press the handle back to the original position.  I'll start the seasoning process later today.  Seared steak is in my future!

Great find and great work rebending the handle! Doing that sort of work can be nerve wracking. Some of my Dartos warped slightly and I mostly use them on an electric cooktop, so I went through the process of getting them close to red hot and then beating them flat. By the time I was done with them, the handle angle wasn't ever quite the same. But now they feel like they're more fully mine because I applied a heavy layer of Brandon's wabi sabi. 

btbyrd

btbyrd

5 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

@btbyrd beautiful sear on that steak.  Yesterday it was six dollar day at a local "bargin bin" store where I spotted a nice Mafter pan.  Once home it took about two minutes with my vise to press the handle back to the original position.  I'll start the seasoning process later today.  Seared steak is in my future!

Great find and great work rebending the handle! Doing that sort of work can be nerve wracking. Some of my Dartos warped slightly and I mostly use them on an electric cooktop, so I went through the process of getting them close to red hot and then beating them flat. By the time I was done with them, the handle angle wasn't ever quite the same. But now they feel like they're more fully mine because I applied a heavy layer Brandon's wabi sabi.