• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Interesting.  I remember "back in the day" when my then MIL used to buy half of a beef.   That would be single origin beef and it was cheaper than the beef sold in the grocery store.  That was common then.   Does that even happen any more?

Suspect it is less popular now than it once was.   If you buy a half a cow then you buy all the cuts that that entails. And a good portion of those cuts will require long slow cooking or other special treatment.   The trend today seems to be towards only the prime cuts. If you are only going to eat steaks and roasts then a side of beef makes no sense.  

The concept of single origin beef boggles my mind. Will we soon all be carrying our own personal DNA kits? 

Anna N

Anna N

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Interesting.  I remember "back in the day" when my then MIL used to buy half of a beef.   That would be single origin beef and it was cheaper than the beef sold in the grocery store.  That was common then.   Does that even happen any more?

Suspect it is less popular now than it once was.   If you buy a half a cow then you buy all the cuts that that entails. And a good portion of those cuts will require long slow cooking or other special treatment.   The trend today seems to be towards only the prime cuts. If you are only going to eat steaks and roasts then a side of beef makes no sense.  

The concept of single origin beef boggles my mind. Will be soon all be carrying our own personal DNA kits?