• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

JoNorvelleWalker

Acorns & Cattails

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Regrettably I don't have access to a chamber sealer, just the regular ol' Food Saver.

Also, perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I've read what you wrote five or six times and I'm not getting where the sealer comes in.

This is funny because someone PMd me earlier thinking I needed to edit my comment because it didn't make sense, and I scoffed and said, "sure it does." Apparently it doesn't.

Chamber sealers can be used to leach tannins out of acorns. Open the chamber and remove any inserts/risers. Take a bowl/hotel pan or other open container and put your shelled acorns in the container. Cover the nut meat with water and put in the chamber sealer. This means the bowl will be uncovered, but still fit inside the chamber sealer. Close the sealer and let it go until you see the water start to bubble/boil. Hit cancel. Drain that water off, refill and repeat two or three times (or more depending on the tannic qualities of the acorn. Remove the bowl from the chamber sealer, drain acorns, dry and use. 

Does that clarify things?

• Like 2

Absolutely.

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just got a copy yesterday. Beautiful photos, good information. There's a couple things in here I can't wait to try out. Good job, Rob!

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Shelby
      Thanks to @blue_dolphin, I was forced to buy this cookbook  and it was delivered today.  No matter how hard I try, I just don't super enjoy cookbooks on my Kindle.  Anyway, I'll most likely be alone on this thread due to low okra likability lol, but I'm an only child and I'm used to being alone 😁

First on the list will be the Kimchi Okra from page 100--as suggested by @blue_dolphin.

I'll be back on this thread soon  
    • By Cookwhoplaysdrums
      Can anyone suggest me some good books related to Gastronomy, food history, culture, recipes based on different cultures. 
      Also recommend the best food magazine subscriptions. 
    • By artiesel
      THE BOOKS ARE SOLD

I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.

The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).

I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.

Let me know if interested or if you have questions

• By umami5
      Has anyone come across a digital version of Practical Professional Cookery (revised 3rd edition) H.L. Cracknell & R.J. Kaufmann.
      I am using this as the textbook for my culinary arts students and a digital version would come in very handy for creating notes and handouts.