• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ann_T

Ann_T

53 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've always though a poolish was very wet (like this) and a biga was drier.

Not that it matter what you call it with your breads being so beautiful.  Have you mentioned before what flours you use?

@weinoo, I don't think there is much difference between the two.  One is "French" and one "Italian".   I've used what I call a Biga for almost 30 years based on a recipe I had for Italian bread. 

I watched an interesting video explaining the different preferments.   

I use a Canadian Flour - Rogers Silver Star.  It is one of their commercial flours. It isn't sold in grocery stores, but our Costco carries it and until recently I was paying $13.00 for a 20 Kilo (44 lbs) bag. 

It has been the same price for years.  Just recently the price increased to $19.00 for 20 Kilos, (44 lbs).   Still a steal at that price.   If I were to run out of this flour before getting to Costco, I would use their regular bread flour which is available in all the grocery stores.   Both have a high protein of 13.4%.  

Ann_T

Ann_T

46 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've always though a poolish was very wet (like this) and a biga was drier.

Not that it matter what you call it with your breads being so beautiful.  Have you mentioned before what flours you use?

@weinoo, I don't think there is much difference between the two.  One is "French" and one "Italian".   I've used what I call a Biga for almost 30 years based on a recipe I had for Italian bread. 

I watched an interesting video explaining the different preferments.