• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I believe this is the same recipe that @ElsieD used above.  A friend brought me some white whole wheat from the US and definitely makes a huge difference. (I used my own seed mix.) But I also read somewhere, I can’t give credit because I’m not sure where, that 2 tablespoons of orange juice added to dough made with (non white?) whole wheat flour will cut the bitterness. Have not tried that yet.  

The orange juice does work with regular whole wheat, however, the taste of white whole wheat still wins.

From KAF:   "Whole-wheat flour is made from hard red spring or winter wheat, which has a nutty, hearty taste.

• White whole-wheat flour is made from hard white spring or winter wheat, which has the exact same nutritional value of whole-wheat flour, but because of the variety used, has a milder flavor and paler color."

BTW, that's one gorgeous loaf!

lindag

lindag

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I believe this is the same recipe that @ElsieD used above.  A friend brought me some white whole wheat from the US and definitely makes a huge difference. (I used my own seed mix.) But I also read somewhere, I can’t give credit because I’m not sure where, that 2 tablespoons of orange juice added to dough made with (non white?) whole wheat flour will cut the bitterness. Have not tried that yet.  

The orange juice does work with regular whole wheat, however, the taste of white whole wheat still wins.

From KAF:   "Whole-wheat flour is made from hard red spring or winter wheat, which has a nutty, hearty taste.

• White whole-wheat flour is made from hard white spring or winter wheat, which has the exact same nutritional value of whole-wheat flour, but because of the variety used, has a milder flavor and paler color."