• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ann_T

Ann_T

3 hours ago, Altay.Oro said:

I'm starting from scratch ... those two books have different methods and ingredients for starter as far as I can see in a quick look, not fully read though.

First book mentions pineapple or orange juice at the very first stage of making a starter ... other uses only water.

Which differences can it make in the final product?

I'm a purist so I avoided recipes that called for fruit juices or grapes, etc..  The best starters are started with just organic rye and water.   Once you have an active starter they are easy to maintain.

The starter that I use  is over 5 years old,  and was started using the recipe from Amy's Bread  Cookbook.  Amy' Bread is a bakery in NY City 

owned by Amy Scherber.   

If you follow the directions exactly, you can be baking sourdough bread within the week.  

AMY'S BREAD SOURDOUGH INSTRUCTIONS

SOURDOUGH PICTORIAL 

Ann_T

Ann_T

3 hours ago, Altay.Oro said:

I'm starting from scratch ... those two books have different methods and ingredients for starter as far as I can see in a quick look, not fully read though.

First book mentions pineapple or orange juice at the very first stage of making a starter ... other uses only water.

Which differences can it make in the final product?

The best starters are started with just organic rye and water.   Once you have an active starter they are easy to maintain.

The starter that I use  is over 5 years old,  and was started using the recipe from Amy's Bread  Cookbook.  Amy' Bread is a bakery in NY City 

owned by Amy Scherber.   

If you follow the directions exactly, you can be baking sourdough bread within the week.  

AMY'S BREAD SOURDOUGH INSTRUCTIONS

SOURDOUGH PICTORIAL