• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

On 5/21/2024 at 10:55 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread05202024.jpg

This weekend's Forkish loaf.  Normally I would bake a boule in the Anova on a baking steel with steam.  However I am blessed (or cursed) with the gift of hundreds of Amazon kitchen toys and gadgets in exchange for my evaluation and review.  It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

I baked this loaf in an enameled cast iron bread oven that I can recommend:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

The problem is I am old, and screaming hot cast iron is heavy.  In this case 12 pounds.  No, thankfully I did not burn myself, or this post would have been posted in a different thread.  The results were tasty, but more gymnastics were required than had I simply baked in the Anova.

The bread looks fantastic. I'm in the same boat as you in re lifting heaving cast iron pots, especially those full of some delicious braise or chili or... I love my enamaled cast iron but unless there is a husband or a kid to help me lift it out of the oven, sadly I have avoided using them lately. My husband jokes that I need an engine hoist for the kitchen.

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

On 5/21/2024 at 10:55 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread05202024.jpg

This weekend's Forkish loaf.  Normally I would bake a boule in the Anova on a baking steel with steam.  However I am blessed (or cursed) with the gift of hundreds of Amazon kitchen toys and gadgets in exchange for my evaluation and review.  It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

I baked this loaf in an enameled cast iron bread oven that I can recommend:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

The problem is I am old, and screaming hot cast iron is heavy.  In this case 12 pounds.  No, thankfully I did not burn myself, or this post would have been posted in a different thread.  The results were tasty, but more gymnastics were required than had I simply baked in the Anova.

The bread looks fantastic. I'm in the same boat as you in re lifting heaving cast iron pots, especially those full of some delicious braise or chili or... I love my enalled cast iron but unless there is a husband or a kid to help me lift it out of the oven, sadly I have avoided using them lately. My husband jokes that I need an engine hoist for the kitchen.