• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

2 hours ago, NWKate said:

Thanks, pretty sure I won't be buying this book- what a shame.

I'm still planning to try to get my hands on a copy.  The small print isn't a deal breaker for my very nearsighted eyeballs.  I thought the admonition to use a doubled towel to remove a hot pan from the broiler (in the brussels sprouts recipe that was printed in the EYB review) was a little more babysitting than I usually want but overall, I've read some good reviews, too, and am very much looking forward to the thoughts of those here, when they've had the chance to try some recipes.

As @rotuts posted here, the NYT has published their fall cookbook roundup.  The header for Taste & Technique is "The Best Kind of Bossy," and they go on to say, "In the spirit of Judy Rogers’s “Zuni Café Cookbook” or Paul Bertolli’s “Cooking by Hand,” the chef Naomi Pomeroy, of the restaurant Beast in Portland, Ore., doesn’t want to show off. She wants to hold your hand and take you there — “there” being a land where demi-glace and soufflés are actually cool, and where teaching is preferable to telling."

Full review, including recipe for fennel gratin is here:  ‘Taste & Technique' makes French Cooking Cool

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I'm still planning to try to get my hands on a copy.  The small print isn't a deal breaker for my very nearsighted eyeballs.  I thought the admonition to use a doubled towel to remove a hot pan from the broiler (in the brussels sprouts recipe that was printed in the EYB review) was a little more babysitting than I usually want but overall, I've read some good reviews, too, and am very much looking forward to the thoughts of those here, when they've had the chance to try some recipes.

As @rotuts posted here, the NYT has published their fall cookbook roundup.  The header for Taste & Technique is "The Best Kind of Bossy," and they go on to say, "In the spirit of Judy Rogers’s “Zuni Café Cookbook” or Paul Bertolli’s “Cooking by Hand,” the chef Naomi Pomeroy, of the restaurant Beast in Portland, Ore., doesn’t want to show off. She wants to hold your hand and take you there — “there” being a land where demi-glace and soufflés are actually cool, and where teaching is preferable to telling."

Full review, including recipe for fennel gratin is here:  ‘Taste & Technique' makes French Cooking Cool