• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Ann_T

Ann_T

On 10/16/2018 at 8:16 AM, iggiggiggy said:

I use the bread setting almost exclusively for demi-baguettes. Some pics--these are all the same demi-baguettes:

@iggiggiggy  I also use the bread setting for smaller baguettes.

I tried using the bake steam setting , but that was by accident not deliberate.  And the bread turned out well.  But I like that the bread setting steams the dough at the beginning of the bake and then stops.  Makes for a better crust without constant steam. 

On 10/23/2018 at 7:42 AM, kayb said:

I do the same. I've used the CSO on 100 degrees and steam function, too, but I prefer the microwave. 

@kayb I just proof on the counter.   A cooler temperature, so it takes a little longer, but I like the results better. 

I tried the proofing function on the CSO, just to see how it worked.   I bake on a stone which meant transferring the proofed loaf from a baking sheet to the stone and it was awkward.  Easier to transfer a proofed loaf from a floured  bread board with a transfer board. 

Ann_T

Ann_T

On 10/16/2018 at 8:16 AM, iggiggiggy said:

I use the bread setting almost exclusively for demi-baguettes. Some pics--these are all the same demi-baguettes:

@iggiggiggy  I also use the bread setting for smaller baguettes.

I tried using the bake steam setting once, but that was an accident.  And the bread turned out well.  But I like that the bread setting steams the dough at the beginning of the bake and then stops.  Makes for a better crust without constant steam. 

On 10/23/2018 at 7:42 AM, kayb said:

I do the same. I've used the CSO on 100 degrees and steam function, too, but I prefer the microwave. 

@kayb I just proof on the counter.   A cooler temperature, so it takes a little longer, but I like the results better. 

I tried the proofing function on the CSO, just to see how it worked.   I bake on a stone which meant transferring the proofed loaf from a baking sheet to the stone and it was awkward.  Easier to transfer a proofed loaf from a floured  bread board with a transfer board.