• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added note explaining tangled quote

20240124_194930.jpg

I gave my fermenting weights to my great-niece last summer, and now I'm on a fermentation kick. I got this set. Actually, I got 2 sets: one for wide-mouth jars and one for regular-mouth jars, but one set hasn't come. What I like about this is that it has vented lids as well as weights. We'll see how it goes! The acacia pounder is quite gratifying to use. 🙂

It's easy to underestimate the value of that pounder, though. The jar on the left contains half a head of red cabbage after shredding, salting, kneading, packing and pounding. The jar on the right would have been the better choice.

20240124_190131.jpg

[Note: For reasons understandable only to the software gods, the remainder of this post is actually @FauxPas, quoting me. We don't know how or why it happened, but the quotes don't make sense otherwise. -- Smithy]

The planets finally aligned for me this year, and I was able to snag two sets of the fermentation lids while they were on end-of-season clearance. Still pricey (to my admittedly minimalist eye) but I expect to use them for many years.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:07 PM, Smithy said:

Actually, I got 2 sets: one for wide-mouth jars and one for regular-mouth jars, but one set hasn't come. What I like about this is that it has vented lids as well as weights. We'll see how it goes! The acacia pounder is quite gratifying to use. 🙂

I just recently bought the same stuff!

On 1/24/2024 at 10:07 PM, Smithy said:

It's easy to underestimate the value of that pounder, though. The jar on the left contains half a head of red cabbage after shredding, salting, kneading, packing and pounding. The jar on the right would have been the better choice.

I did a fermentation class not long ago. The guideline we were given is to use approx 1 kg of cabbage (or whatever combination of stuff) per 1 L canning jar. That's what we used in that class and almost all of it fit into the jar using a tamper with moderate force. 

We tasted ferments that ranged from 1% to 5% concentrations of salt and almost all of us preferred the taste in the range of 1.5 to 2.5%. Class instructor said that was almost always the preferred range in her classes. 

She also suggested using coarse cheese mesh instead of weights and if you have canning jars with a bit of a shoulder, they work really well to keep the cabbage submerged in the brine. Like this: 

https://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/collections/cheese-making-accessories

She cut the mesh into 9cm circles which click into place in the neck of the standard 1L canning jar. 

Smithy

Smithy

20240124_194930.jpg

I gave my fermenting weights to my great-niece last summer, and now I'm on a fermentation kick. I got this set. Actually, I got 2 sets: one for wide-mouth jars and one for regular-mouth jars, but one set hasn't come. What I like about this is that it has vented lids as well as weights. We'll see how it goes! The acacia pounder is quite gratifying to use. 🙂

20240124_190131.jpg

The planets finally aligned for me this year, and I was able to snag two sets of the fermentation lids while they were on end-of-season clearance. Still pricey (to my admittedly minimalist eye) but I expect to use them for many years.

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

Actually, I got 2 sets: one for wide-mouth jars and one for regular-mouth jars, but one set hasn't come. What I like about this is that it has vented lids as well as weights. We'll see how it goes! The acacia pounder is quite gratifying to use. 🙂

I just recently bought the same stuff!

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

I did a fermentation class not long ago. The guideline we were given is to use approx 1 kg of cabbage (or whatever combination of stuff) per 1 L canning jar. That's what we used in that class and almost all of it fit into the jar using a tamper with moderate force. 

We tasted ferments that ranged from 1% to 5% concentrations of salt and almost all of us preferred the taste in the range of 1.5 to 2.5%. Class instructor said that was almost always the preferred range in her classes. 

She also suggested using coarse cheese mesh instead of weights and if you have canning jars with a bit of a shoulder, they work really well to keep the cabbage submerged in the brine. Like this: 

https://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/collections/cheese-making-accessories

She cut the mesh into 9cm circles which click into place in the neck of the standard 1L canning jar.