• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ProfessionalHobbit

ProfessionalHobbit

Zazie is supposed to be a San Francisco classic.

Well, I wasn't feeling it tonight.  Maybe we ordered wrong...but I doubt it.

IMG_7515.JPG

Mediterranean roasted vegetable plate with basil, feta and aioli.

Clockwise from left: spiced mushrooms, roasted peppers, sliced tomatoes, feta cheese + aioli, eggplant, garlicky green beans, roasted potatoes.

IMG_7518.JPG

Charcuterie plate.

Clockwise from center: mixed olives, prosciutto, toast points, mixed green salad, pâté, salmon rillettes, cornichons, mustard.

The pâté tasted like nothing mixed with cream and the salmon could have come out of a can. Everything else was "fine".

IMG_7523.JPG

Wild Coho salmon, pesto Parmesan crust, toybox tomatoes, sugar snap peas and cauliflower purée.

This is a very good example of a kitchen that doesn't understand "less is more". Why put a crust on a fish that doesn't need it? For $29.

IMG_7526.JPG

Bourride.

Easily the best thing we had all night. This version had sea bass, clams, mussels, leeks, fennel and tomatoes. Can't really go wrong with fish stew. No aioli which is the traditional accompaniment.

IMG_7532.JPG

Brebis des Pyrénées, figs poached in port wine, walnut levain.

IMG_7534.JPG

Worst version of tarte tatin ever, served with crème fraîche.

I couldn't help but compare this to what I had at Buvette in NYC (see the next pic) with each and every bite. Barely caramelized apples and not very buttery puff pastry which was more of a vol-au-vent, come to think of it.

14924472730_f6cfb4dced_o.jpg

14924543338_2028f35583_o.jpg

This is more along the lines of what I was expecting.  Pity.

I might not have been so harsh above were it not for the fact that we were forgotten about for nearly 10-15 minutes after having been deposited at our table.  Getting the check was equally as difficult, as if we were at the dentist and having our teeth pulled.

I now see why Zazie is recommended for brunch, not so much for other meals.

Zazie

941 Cole Street (Parnassus Avenue)

Cole Valley

San Francisco

ProfessionalHobbit

ProfessionalHobbit

Zazie is supposed to be a San Francisco classic.

Well, I wasn't feeling it tonight.  Maybe we ordered wrong...but I doubt it.

IMG_7515.JPG

Mediterranean roasted vegetable plate with basil, feta and aioli.

Clockwise from left: spiced mushrooms, roasted peppers, sliced tomatoes, feta cheese + aioli, garlicky green beans, roasted potatoes.

IMG_7518.JPG

Charcuterie plate.

Clockwise from center: mixed olives, prosciutto, toast points, mixed green salad, pâté, salmon rillettes, cornichons, mustard.

The pâté tasted like nothing mixed with cream and the salmon could have come out of a can. Everything else was "fine".

IMG_7523.JPG

Wild Coho salmon, pesto Parmesan crust, toybox tomatoes, sugar snap peas and cauliflower purée.

This is a very good example of a kitchen that doesn't understand "less is more". Why put a crust on a fish that doesn't need it? For $29.

IMG_7526.JPG

Bourride.

Easily the best thing we had all night. This version had sea bass, clams, mussels, leeks, fennel and tomatoes. Can't really go wrong with fish stew. No aioli which is the traditional accompaniment.

IMG_7532.JPG

Brebis des Pyrénées, figs poached in port wine, walnut levain.

IMG_7534.JPG

Worst version of tarte tatin ever, served with crème fraîche.

I couldn't help but compare this to what I had at Buvette in NYC (see the next pic) with each and every bite. Barely caramelized apples and not very buttery puff pastry which was more of a vol-au-vent, come to think of it.

14924472730_f6cfb4dced_o.jpg

14924543338_2028f35583_o.jpg

This is more along the lines of what I was expecting.  Pity.

I might not have been so harsh above were it not for the fact that we were forgotten about for nearly 10-15 minutes after having been deposited at our table.  Getting the check was equally as difficult, as if we were at the dentist and having our teeth pulled.

I now see why Zazie is recommended for brunch, not so much for other meals.

Zazie

941 Cole Street (Parnassus Avenue)

Cole Valley

San Francisco