• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

fisherPete

fisherPete

Here's the finished backsplash.  The iridescent tiles don't really show very well, but it's better than nothing.

With a gas stove, I wanted ventilation, but I didn't have the option of going up and out through the ceiling.  Instead, I was able to go down in the cantilevered wall behind the stove, then laterally outside (to the right).  The key was finding a vent hood fan strong enough to draw, but not so strong that it would put out the pilot light in my furnace. 

kitchen111608a.jpg

Here's my French Bakery table in the center of the room, but before I'd finished the backsplash.  It forms the perfect triangle between stove, sink and refrigerator ... with workspace in the middle.

kitchen101608a.jpg

The whole project, showing progress details.

fisherPete

fisherPete

Here's the finished backsplash.  The iridescent tiles don't really show very well, but it's better than nothing.

With a gas stove, I wanted ventilation, but I didn't have the option of going up and out through the ceiling.  Instead, I was able to go down in the cantilevered wall behind the stove, then laterally outside (to the right).  The key was finding a vent hood fan strong enough to draw, but not so strong that it would put out the pilot light in my furnace. 

kitchen111608a.jpg

Here's my French Bakery table in the center of the room, but before I'd finished the backsplash.  It forms the perfect triangle between stove, sink and refrigerator ... with workspace in the middle.

kitchen101608a.jpg