• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Arey

Arey

07-13-16.jpg

Odeon"s crab cakes. Oven Fries from the EverydayFood Magazine and fennel salad.  Odeon was a restaurant in Philadelphia on 12th St. and many years ago a Phila. Inquirer columnist, Rick Nichols, provided the recipe in a column.  I get 4 crab cakes out of a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (the fish monger gave me $7.00 bucks off for being a loyal customer)  Normally I like the cakes  plumper and rounder but it was to hot to mess.  That's the same reason the fennel salad didn't have any capers or kalamata olives in it. The recipe is below.That's Heinz Original Cocktail sauce in the small dish next to the wine glass

1              pound  Jumbo Lump Crabmeat -- picked over for cartilage

3/4           cup     fresh bread crumbs (I use Progresso plain breadrumbs)

1/4           cup     parsley -- finely chopped (I haven't gotten around to planting my parsley yet this year)

1             cup     scallions -- finely sliced (I only add as many scallions as I feel like slicing)

1/2           cup     Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute (or 2 large eggs)

1/4           cup     2% milk

cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste

1           teaspoon  Worcestershire sauce

2        tablespoons  oil

Combine the crab meat with the parsley, scallions, and bread crumbs.

mix the eggs, milk, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper

Pour over the crab mixture and blend gently
Saute until lightly golden brown, 3 minutes or so
If the crab meat is nice and fresh and sweet I don't think it really needs much in the way of additions, but it does need something to hold it together and these crab cakes tend to be rather loose.

Observations: Doing crossword puzzles while eating is detrimental to your table manners, and  looking at the crossword puzzle while trying to dip the oven fry in the cocktail sauce can result in untidiness.
Being strictly limited by a doctor to having no more than 8 oz. of wine with dinner will greatly improve one's ability to fill an 8 oz. wine glass to the brim and then drink it without spilling a single drop. 

Arey

Arey

07-13-16.jpg

Odeon"s crab cakes. Oven Fries from the EverydayFood Magazine and fennel salad.  Odeon was a restaurant in Philadelphia on 12th St. and many years ago a Phila. Inquirer columnist, Rick Nichols, provided the recipe in a column.  I get 4 crab cakes out of a pound of jumbo lump crab meat (the fish monger gave me $7.00 bucks off for being a loyal customer)  Normally I like the cakes  plumper and rounder but it was to hot to mess.  That's the same reason the fennel salad didn't have any capers or kalamata olives in it. The recipe is below.That's Heinz Original Cocktail sauce in the small dish next to the wine glass

1              pound  Jumbo Lump Crabmeat -- picked over for cartilage

3/4           cup     fresh bread crumbs (I use Progresso plain breadrumbs)

1/4           cup     parsley -- finely chopped (I haven't gotten around to planting my parsley yet this year)

1             cup     scallions -- finely sliced (I only add as many scallions as I feel like slicing)

1/2           cup     Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute (or 2 large eggs)

1/4           cup     2% milk

cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste

1           teaspoon  Worcestershire sauce

2        tablespoons  oil

Combine the crab meat with the parsley, scallions, and bread crumbs.

m

ix the eggs, milk, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper

Pour over the crab mixture and blend gently
Saute until lightly golden brown, 3 minutes or so
If the crab meat is nice and fresh and sweet I don't think it really needs much in the way of additions, but it does need something to hold it together and these crab cakes tend to be rather loose.

Observations: Doing crossword puzzles while eating is detrimental to your table manners, and  looking at the crossword puzzle while trying to dip the oven fry in the cocktail sauce can result in untidiness.
Being strictly limited by a doctor to having no more than 8 oz. of wine with dinner will greatly improve one's ability to fill an 8 oz. wine glass to the brim and then drink it without spilling a single drop.