• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add note on using fresh chiles

Warm whole wheat croissant with butter and hot honey, fresh fruit and coffee:

IMG_3190.jpg

The NYT had a recent piece on Hot Honey Shrimp in which I learned that hot pepper infused honey is a thing that can be bought in a jar at the supermarket....or some supermarkets, anyway. I had no idea.  I'm out of shrimp but wanted to test out the flavors so I mixed up the honey, cayenne, freshly grated ginger and lime zest (omitting the garlic from the recipe for now) and used it to anoint my croissant.  Nice.  I'd intended to just mix up some hot honey but I'm such a sucker for lime and ginger that I had to throw them in, too.  Will try it with shrimp one of these days but in the meantime, it's plenty nice for breakfast.  

IMG_3192 (1).jpg 

Edited to add that next time I will try one of the hot honey recipes that use fresh chiles rather than the dried cayenne called for here.  This was certainly quick and easy but I think fresh chiles would give a better flavor.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Warm whole wheat croissant with butter and hot honey, fresh fruit and coffee:

IMG_3190.jpg

The NYT had a recent piece on Hot Honey Shrimp in which I learned that hot pepper infused honey is a thing that can be bought in a jar at the supermarket....or some supermarkets, anyway. I had no idea.  I'm out of shrimp but wanted to test out the flavors so I mixed up the honey, cayenne, freshly grated ginger and lime zest (omitting the garlic from the recipe for now) and used it to anoint my croissant.  Nice.  I'd intended to just mix up some hot honey but I'm such a sucker for lime and ginger that I had to throw them in, too.  Will try it with shrimp one of these days but in the meantime, it's plenty nice for breakfast.  

IMG_3192 (1).jpg